Sr Director, Digital Engagement Strategy 81375BR
Academic Enterprise Communications is seeking a creative marketing technologist to lead digital engagement strategies that result in personalized communications journeys for Arizona State University’s prospective and currently enrolled students. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Academic Enterprise Communications, this is a new, leadership level position that will lead existing teams managing web development, search engine optimization and marketing, and email and SMS.
As such, their primary responsibility will be to synthesize the data insights of each channel into a cohesive digital engagement strategy that enables the team to develop communication plans that meet the needs and expectations of the students and family members we aim to engage through our website, social media, emails and text strategies.
The Senior Director of Digital Engagement Strategy will work closely with their three direct reports to ensure that the data and insights available to the team are working together in order to create a clear picture of the biography, behaviors, and preferences of the students we aim to engage with our communications.
Additionally, the leader will work horizontally with the AE Communications leadership team to ensure that the digital strategy is understood by the wider team and implemented through the creative assets the team designs and the communication products the team builds.
The Senior Director will also be responsible for representing the AE Communications team in various university-wide workgroups, and governance and steering committees where enterprise-level decisions are being made about the use of marketing technologies.
What makes a candidate for this job stand out?
Motivated by the ASU Charter, the ideal candidate is someone who is looking for a career opportunity that helps ASU make an impact at scale on the lives of hundreds of thousands of prospective and currently enrolled students.
They will have demonstrated experience leading the digital strategy for a consumer-facing brand and will be able to share specific examples from their experience where they integrated website data with CMS data and influenced a communications strategy with these data insights.
While they will work with employees with expertise in Google Analytics, SEO, and Salesforce Marketing Cloud, they understand these systems and can bring to the table the ability to see actionable data insights. And, they are a responsive communicator who understands how to translate technical insights and/or needs to leadership team members with less technical expertise.
The ideal candidate is a natural leader and collaborator who can motivate teammates to work together in new ways. They will have an ability to respect established processes while working to influence colleagues toward new ways of thinking and new approaches to strategy. They will take equal care in driving a vision that best serves our target audiences and mentoring staff toward their own professional development goals.
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
This is not a grant funded position and is not contingent on future grant funding.
Depends on experience
- Analyze current state of data insights in Google Analytics, Salesforce Marketing Cloud and other data warehouses to make recommendations and guide strategy.
- Streamline workflows between digital engagement channels and communication verticals to ensure that communications deployed are relevant to the target audiences receiving them.
- Build dashboards for university leaders that track KPIs and progress toward goals.
- Actively manage insights to adapt communications strategies in real-time.
- Guide team through a strategy that will lead to efficient internal processes, “right sized” campaign, and better engagement on managed websites and email/text communications.
- Lead the multi-channel communications to evolve to omni-channel strategies.
Bachelor's degree in a related field AND ten (10) years of related experience which includes five (5) years of management/supervisory experience; OR, any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience managing teams of technical and marketing employees.
- Career experience in marketing for a consumer brand or brands.
- Evidence of a Google Analytics Certification (including Google Analytics for Power Users and Google Analytics 360, and ideally Google Analytics 4).
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience using Salesforce Marketing Cloud.
- Experience with Data Studio to build dashboards to track performance.
- It is expected that this role will require a flexible environment with the potential for a hybrid work environment in which employees balance the use of an ASU office with remote work options on a weekly basis.
- AE Communications team members regularly meet in person and/or on Zoom for team meetings, and collaborate digitally via email and Slack.
- Will need the use of their own vehicle to travel to all ASU campuses, as needed.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (25%)
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (35%)
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Ability to clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- This position receives regular managerial review of objectives.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Academic Enterprise Enrollment within the Office of the Executive Vice President and University Provost, the role of the Academic Enterprise Communications team is to execute multi-channel communications strategies that help the university achieve its goals related to student enrollment, retention and academic reputation.
The team is committed to the ideals of the ASU Charter, and is passionate about the role it plays in helping advance the academic agenda of a National Service University. We pride ourselves on being collaborative partners across the university and we value teammates who are creative and proactive problem-solvers. We aim to accomplish our goals in a hard-working yet positive and flexible environment where everyone contributes and feels valued. We are not afraid of experimentation and strive to bring inspiration from outside of higher education into our operations.
We value the role of data and use quantitative and qualitative testing to drive our decision-making. We operate under a results-focused work environment where flexible, hybrid and remote work arrangements may be approved. We measure individual results equally by the progress each teammate makes toward their goals as well as the impact they make on the culture of the team.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.