The Career Advisor provides quality career advising to Mount Mary students and works primarily with students and also with faculty, other administrative offices, alumnae, and employers. The Career Counselor serves as an adviser, planner, coordinator, and collaborator for the Mount Mary University community, and works within the Office of Advising and Career Development.
- Meet with undergraduate, graduate students, and alumnae to provide career and major exploration, resume and cover letter review, mock interviews, job search strategies, and general professional development.
- Design and facilitate classroom presentations and activities around a large variety of career development and professional development topics.
- Administer and interpret career assessments, including 16 Personalities, MBTI, and Strong Interest Inventory.
- Assist in developing and implementing career programming and activities (i.e. all majors fair) and create and post promotional and marketing materials; contribute to Career Development webpage and web content on Mount Mary website
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and best practices in career development to apply to services provided to students
- Teach credit-bearing courses for students exploring majors and career options.
- Attend New Student Registration (may take place during evenings and weekends) and participate in coordinating events, presenting, and advising new students.
- Act as part of the Compass Year team in planning and implementing activities and support services including advising students.
- Hire, train and supervise student workers.
- Participate in the Wisconsin Private College Career Consortium (WIPCCC) including quarterly meetings and Workforce career, internship, and graduate school fair.
- Participate in Student Affairs retention activities including contacting students about college timeline, processes, registration and events, onboarding of students, assessment of services, programs and activities, and DEI initiatives.
- Perform other duties, responsibilities, or special projects as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Master's degree in College Personnel Administration, Counseling, or related field required
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills with college student groups. Experience guiding students one-on-one through college processes. Preference given to candidates with career advising and guidance experience.
- Knowledge of best practices in career services
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusiveness and cultural competence; experience working with underrepresented students and students from at-risk backgrounds
- Outstanding verbal, writing, and presentation skills; must be able to communicate and interact effectively with Mount Mary students, employees, and alumnae
- Experience managing employer relations with professionals in all levels of organizational positions
- Familiarity with the Handshake career database (or similar career technology) and collegiate-level teaching experience is a plus
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each primary duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform primary functions.
- May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Must reach, bend, stoop, lift
- Must sit, walk, or stand
- Some repetitive motion may be required
- Can regularly be scheduled for up to 40 hours a week; maybe scheduled 45 hours a week during peak times of the academic calendar
- Varying workflow; sometimes stressful with high workload times of the year
- Complete work required within a limited space
- Complete work required within a limited time
Mount Mary University encourages applications from all qualified candidates and is vitally committed to all aspects of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates and all will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ethnicity, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, or any other groups protected by law. Mount Mary seeks to hire and retain personnel who will make a positive contribution to its mission, vision, and values.
For more information about diversity, equity, and inclusion at Mount Mary please visit http://www.mtmary.edu/about/diversity
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.