The Technical Institute for Environmental Professions:
Unity College created the Technical Institute for Environmental
Professions because many entry-level jobs are going unfilled due to
a lack of skilled workers. Those who do possess the skills and
education are burdened with excessive debt. So, we built an
alternative to costly degree programs by offering short-term
credentials such as certificates and Associate degrees all at a
lower cost. These programs offer quicker and less expensive
entryways into the workforce for first-time employment, career
changers, and individuals looking to upskill. Short-term programs
can also serve as stepping-stones to more advanced and technical
opportunities. By narrowing our focus, this new institute will
deliver the specialized training that leads to well-paying jobs in
About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
Associate degrees, Baccalaureate degrees, Masters degrees,
certificates, and non-degree courses through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Student Financial Services Specialist (SFSS) supports the
Director of Student Financial Services through the administration
and dissemination of Student Financial Services policies and
procedures for Unity College students. This is a generalist
position that is cross trained to serve all Sustainable Education
Business Units (SEBUs) but will be dedicated to the Technical
Institute for Environmental Professions (TIEP). This position is
responsible for working directly with Unity College students to
support them in managing their financial needs and requirements.
The SFSS will manage and use student financial aid programs,
financial aid information systems, billing software as well as
report and retrieve information for program management and reports.
Work will involve using Power-Faids Financial Aid Management
System, Student Billing Components in the Student Information
System and CashNet.
- Monitor program compliance with federal, state, and
institutional policies through the use of system and quality
- Conduct student aid reviews including: needs analysis,
budgeting, billing, packaging, verification, loan processing,
certification, and tracking.
- Counsel students individually or in groups on financial aid and
student account matters such as application procedures, borrowing,
employment, outside aid, other funding, payment plans and
- Communicate with parents and/or students regarding the student
billing process and payment options.
- Coordinate the mailing of lender notifications-entrance and
exit counseling, bills, and award letters.
- Create, revise, and update publications, standardized letters,
manuals, and forms used in student aid and student billing
- Review and maintain payment plans, and student files.
- Perform soft collect outreach to students to assist with
completing paperwork and payment options.
- Coordinate the integration of student financial aid and billing
processes for all SEBUs.
- Perform outreach activities as assigned by the Assistant
Director of Student Financial Services.
- Attend required trainings to learn and maintain required skills
to perform all duties for SFSS across all SEBUs.
- Assist in supervision of work study students. Carries out
supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the institutions
policies and applicable laws.
- Responsible for processing 1098-Ts.
- Review and process refunds to be submitted to the Business
Office for payment.
- Assist students with identifying options for payment plans and
setting the students up in CashNet, etc.
- Manage CashNet.
- Perform reconciliation, reporting, consolidation and
liquidation of Perkins loans.
- Manage third party billing i.e. Veterans Affairs, Outside
- Place billing holds on student accounts for non-payment.
- Assists students with student insurance waiver process and
provides list to insurer.
- Completes graduation application fee batches.
- Disburse all non-payment batches and provide journal entry to
the Business Office.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- Bachelors degree and a minimum of 2-5 years job related
experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education
- Basic knowledge of federal and state financial aid programs and
a demonstrated commitment to student aid.
- Basic knowledge of accounting and billing services.
- Must be capable of independent judgement, highly motivated with
strong organizational skills.
- Must be flexible with good interpersonal skills.
- Able to read, analyze and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
- Able to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures
- Able to effectively present information and respond to
questions from students, parents, staff, managers, and the general
- Able to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and
statistical inference. Able to apply concepts such as fractions,
percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Extensive knowledge of computerized data base systems, word
processing and spreadsheets.
- Able to define problems, collect data establish facts, and draw
valid conclusions. Able to interpret an extensive variety of
technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal
with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental
Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms
campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the
fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
At Unity College, we don't just accept
difference we celebrate it, we support it,
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our
students, and our community.
Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and
is an affirmative action employer.