The Technical Institute for Environmental Professions:
Unity College created the Technical Institute for Environmental
Professions because many entry-level jobs are going unfilled due to
a lack of skilled workers. Those who do possess the skills and
education are burdened with excessive debt. So, we built an
alternative to costly degree programs by offering short-term
credentials such as certificates and Associate degrees all at a
lower cost. These programs offer quicker and less expensive
entryways into the workforce for first-time employment, career
changers, and individuals looking to upskill. Short-term programs
can also serve as stepping-stones to more advanced and technical
opportunities. By narrowing our focus, this new institute will
deliver the specialized training that leads to well-paying jobs in
About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
Associate degrees, Baccalaureate degrees, Masters degrees,
certificates, and non-degree courses through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology, the Assistant
Director of Information Technology provides leadership, planning,
managerial, and operational oversight for all hardware, and vendors
related to the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions
The Assistant Director of Information Technology is responsible for
the delivery of high availability of all TIEP infrastructure
services including network architecture, network and access point
security services, backup systems, vendor management, and failover
capabilities. In this role they will also oversee System &
Support Admin staff dedicated to TIEP. The Assistant Director of
Information Technology partners with other staff and faculty, at
all levels of TIEP, is responsible for delivering effective IT
services based on industry best practices to students and employees
in support of teaching, student learning, administrative processes,
research, outreach, etc.
The Assistant Director of Information Technology will work with the
Director of Technology and TIEP leadership on related strategic
TIEP efforts including hi-flex teaching, learning, and working;
marketing and student recruitment; student success and retention;
vendor and consortia management; and strategic planning as
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Provides coordination, operation and day-to-day management of
the IT Operations for TIEP in support of the Colleges mission.
- Explores and assesses new and emerging technologies that will
provide a technology rich environment that meets the needs of
todays diverse employee and student populations, as well as
providing technologies and information systems that afford
strategic advantages for TIEP.
- In partnership with the Director of IT, develops, proposes,
implements and maintains effective policies and practices; ensuring
access, security, and usage are in accordance with College
policies, applicable laws and best practices.
- Maintains effective working relationships with TIEP academic
and administrative personnel, serving on appropriate task groups to
represent IT, and functions as a spokesperson and technology expert
on matters related to information and learning technologies.
- Works as an adaptive leader with skills to supervise and manage
IT personnel, budgets, equipment, and facilities effectively,
efficiently and strategically.
- Manages risk to the institution via logical, virtual, and
physical security controls.
- Ensures the continuous delivery of IT services for TIEP through
the oversight of service level agreements with vendors and
monitoring of IT systems performance to ensure the continuous
functioning of mission critical operations.
- Plans, designs, purchases, implements, maintains and supports
(directly or indirectly):
- All information systems and services.
- All wired, wireless and voice networks and network services for
- All classroom audio-visual systems.
- All computer systems and devices assigned to TIEP.
- Provides prioritized technical support and training resources
- Recruits, supervises, and evaluates TIEP IT operations
department staff and work-study personnel. Provides regular
evaluation of employees, and manages in alignment with College and
TIEP policies; leads and supports growth and professional
development of department employees.
- Manages TIEP strategic infrastructure plan items and
infrastructure disaster recovery plans.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- Bachelors degree in business, technology, or other field
appropriate to the work assigned or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years progressively responsible information
technology administrative and supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in multiple technology disciplines,
such as: applications development, cloud applications support,
database administration, networking, server virtualization, VoIP,
and Microsoft 365.
- Demonstrated successful management and leadership experience
with the ability to lead a team of IT professionals in a
professional service provider environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with the
president when needed.
- Experience in administrative project planning and management;
systems design, implementation and production processing; client
problem resolution and troubleshooting; systems design and
- Experience managing and working with relational database
management systems and with complex ERP level systems.
- Experience managing and working with Active Directory and LDAP
- Experience managing and working with cloud environments,
including SaaS and Microsoft 365/Azure. Experience with Salesforce,
CAMS and other educational-related software is helpful.
- Ability to develop batch automation scripts using PowerShell or
similar scripting languages.
- Ability to research, plan, develop and implement projects and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; Customer
- Supports the development of infrastructure and department
- Ability to understand and produce spreadsheet-based budget and
reports; have an understanding of basic account principles and
- Ability to explain and execute complex tasks.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental
Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms
campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the
fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
At Unity College, we don't just accept
difference we celebrate it, we support it,
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible
and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our
students, and our community.
Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and
is an affirmative action employer.