About SUNY Schenectady County Community College:
SUNY Schenectady County Community College (SUNY Schenectady) is one of the State University of New York's finest two-year colleges located in upstate New York's vibrant and growing Capital Region, with easy access to Boston, NYC, the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains, Montreal and scenic Hudson Valley, all of which are just a few hours away. SUNY Schenectady is a premier college that provides quality, comprehensive education for transfer, career, training and workforce development to a diverse population in a student centered environment. The College offers more than 50 transfer and career programs in science, aviation, culinary, music, and liberal arts, and serves more than 5,000 students. SUNY Schenectady County Community College offers an excellent benefit package including health care with dental and vision coverage, a choice of retirement systems, a deferred compensation benefit, an on-site child care program and Montessori School, professional development opportunities, and health club membership. We take pride in being an urban campus with a small town feel.
Come join our team as Director of Aviation Programs at SUNY Schenectady!
We offer ground and flight school and hands-on learning in the county airport control tower (the only community college with an ATC internship!) Lead our students to rewarding careers in the aviation industry (our non-pilot option) and as professional pilots for corporate airlines.
SUNY Schenectady County Community College is seeking a full-time Director of Aviation Programs. This position reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Director of Aviation Programs administers three programs: Aviation Science: Pilot; Aviation Science: Non-Pilot, and Air Traffic Control (ATC), as well as teaching up to three courses per semester within one or more of these programs. The Director will provide leadership and vision as the college seeks to grow its Aviation programs and serve as liaison to our flight school partners and oversee compliance with FAA regulations. Other responsibilities include such administrative duties as developing orientation materials, scheduling students' flights, inputting lab flight data into online scheduling and other data systems, keeping books of student lab accounts, vetting ATC students for internships, maintaining drug and alcohol records for the ATC program, and assembling an Aviation advisory committee. The Director of Aviation Programs is committed to the instruction and support of a diverse student population and will contribute to an inclusive culture and ethos on campus.
- Manage the academic and FAA-approved flight and ATC training for all Aviation programs
- Ensure compliance with all federal and state department of veteran's Affairs rules and policies concerning the operation of a collegiate flight training program
- Coordinate with Admissions and Marketing to recruit students who are using VA benefits and who are under-represented in professional pilot career fields
- Supervise adjunct faculty teaching in Aviation programs
- Monitor student success, including student retention and progression data
- Maintain & update Part 61 & 141 Accreditation
- Work with flight academies to schedule individual flight lab students
- Maintain students flight schedules
- Perform regular inspection of flight school safety records
- Teach up to three ground and flight lab classes per semester
- Participate in the assessment, revision, and development of curricula and instructional methods
- Hold office hours for students
- Participate in college governance and in Academic Affairs efforts including, but not limited to, retention, recruitment, and program review
- Model lifelong learning by actively engaging in independent and college-offered professional development to increase knowledge in one's content area and teaching methods
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean.
- Bachelor's Degree in Aviation Science or related discipline
- Certified Ground Instructor
- Related teaching experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- The ability to create inclusive and engaging learning environments for an increasingly diverse student body
- Experience using Excel and other job-related software programs
- Master's Degree in Aviation Science or related discipline
- Certified Flight Instructor
- Post-secondary teaching experience, preferably at community college
- Supervisory experience
- Experience utilizing and developing innovative learning strategies
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Offers of employment will be conditional based on the successful completion of a background check.
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for this position:
- Cover letter
- Completed SUNY Schenectady employment application
- Diversity Statement: A separate statement specifically addressing how your commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion has been evidenced in your career experience and professional activity, and/or community service (volunteer work, etc.), and/or professional development.
SUNY Schenectady County Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender or gender identify, disability, or age in admissions, employment, programs and activities. As an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a commitment to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion, and respect for difference, SCCC encourages candidates who can contribute to this goal to apply.
CAMPUS SAFETY REPORT
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates that all Title IV institutions, without exception, prepare, publish and distribute an Annual Security Report. This report consists of two basic parts: disclosure of the College's crime statistics for the past three years; and the availability regarding the College's current campus security policies. SUNY Schenectady County Community College's Annual Security Report is available here.
SUNY Schenectady is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United Stated and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.