Floor Technician-Environmental Services
As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University
affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive
campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human
community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons
who represent the breadth of human difference. The university
encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to
apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed
to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and
reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a
diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,300
undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all
students study away through Susquehanna’s unique Global
Opportunities program. Susquehanna University’s 325 acre campus,
noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50
miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley,
about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and
New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu
The Environmental Services Floor Tech
performs a variety of semi-skilled tasks and duties in support of
the campus community. Provides daily cleaning tasks in assigned
areas, to ensure a clean and safe environment for students and
staff to live, work, and study.Specific
- Sweep, mop and scrub floors, stairs (inside and outside
buildings) and other surfaces.
- Use light and heavy (industrial type) floor machines and
attachments to renovate and renew floor surfaces and finishes.
- Scrub, strip, wax and polish floors using heavy (industrial
type) powered scrubber and buffers.
- Vacuum rugs in offices and public areas. Shampoo rugs
periodically using heavy vacuum cleaner and rug shampooing
- Wash and/or clean exterior windows, walls and masonry by hand
or with powered washer, while working on ladders, scaffolding, and
aerial lifts as needed.
- Collect waste paper and other debris; place items outdoors for
removal by trash truck.
- Clean security camera lenses on exterior of buildings.
- Clean ventilators and heating grills.
- Move furniture, supplies, and miscellaneous equipment as
- Sweep or shovel snow from steps and walks and apply ice melt at
- Assist in setting up and in dismantling displays and other
- Clean and service lavatories, toilet rooms, and shower rooms as
assigned and using prescribed methods.
- Report emergency repairs to the Facilities Management office;
report needed general repairs to the Supervisor.
- Maintain complete familiarity with safety rules and procedures
in the performance of assigned duties. Request additional training
- Maintain complete familiarity with operation and maintenance of
job-related equipment and supplies. Request additional training as
- Understand and follow all safety rules.
- Maintain a safe, healthy and environmentally sound workplace
demonstrated by following good housekeeping practices, notifying
supervisors of potential hazards, adhering to OSHA standards and
other safe practice procedures, and being an example for other
staff regarding safe equipment use.
Knowledge, Skills, AbilitiesBasic knowledge of
floor care. Ability to operate and maintain floor equipment
(buffers, scrubbers and extractors) in a university environment.
Ability to be trained and certified to operate a fork lift, aerial
lift and university vehicle. The ability to receive and interpret
instructions and to maintain a flexible work schedule are required;
overtime availability is required. Ability to work independently or
in a group, and have the skills needed to work safely. Daily
contact with supervisor to receive instructions; Regular contacts
with faculty, staff, and students to promote goodwill and
ExperienceRequires two to three weeks of thorough
on-the-job training on equipment used and familiarity of
Physical DemandWork routines involve climbing
stairs, step ladders, extension ladder and scaffolding; bending;
pushing and pulling wet mops, containers of liquids, vacuum
sweepers, and buffing and waxing machines; lifting filled trash
bags and transporting to collection site; moving classroom, office,
and residence hall furniture during summer cleaning. Walking, and
transporting equipment between work areas and up and down stairs.
Lifts various weights up to 100 lbs. on a daily/rare basis. Pushes
or pulls various weights up to 95 lbs. on a frequent basis. Carries
various weights up to 45 lbs. on a frequent basis.
EducationA high school diploma or equivalent is
ExperienceSome experience preferred.
Special Instructions to the Applicant:
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Number of Months: 12 months
Other Number of Months:
Work Schedule/Hours per Week:
Open Until Filled: No
Anticipated Start Date:
Posting Number: AH00887
To apply, visit https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/2807