Behavioral Science – Basic Science Program Location: UMHS campus in St. Kitts, West Indies
The University of Medicine and Health Sciences-St. Kitts (UMHS) invites applications for a faculty positions in Behavioral Science.
The successful candidate will team teach the behavioral science course which is taught in third semester. Because UMHS courses are team taught faculty members have time to engage in research and writing. The UMHS academic year has three semesters; therefore, teaching responsibilities occur throughout the year.
- Developing and providing students with approved syllabi and learning objectives.
- Organizing, preparing, and regularly updating course content.
- Delivering effective lectures utilizing a variety of teaching techniques and state of the art teaching technologies.
- Preparing and administering examinations, grading in a timely manner, and providing feedback to students.
- Focusing on student success by being available to students during non-teaching time.
- Serving on faculty committees.
- Participating in training to qualify as a facilitator in our problem based learning program.
- Supervising students in a variety of activities, including but not limited to, problem based learning activities as well as activities in local clinical settings.
- Participate in activities assigned by the department chair and/or University administration.
- Minimum Qualifications:
- Passion for teaching
- Doctoral degree Earned Ph.D. in clinical psychology or MD in psychiatry.
- Three to five years experience teaching in a graduate medical program
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially PowerPoint
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English
- About UMHS:
UMHS offers a traditional four year Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree. The university operates year round and offers three semesters per calendar year which start in January, May, and September. Students complete the Basic Science Program at the UMHS at our state of the art campus in St Kitts. The fifth semester occurs at the UMHS campus in Portland, Maine. Students complete their third year of core clinical rotations and fourth year of elective rotations in one of our many affiliated, accredited teaching hospitals throughout the United States. To graduate, students must successfully complete the UMHS medical program and pass the USMLE Step1, Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS. UMHS graduates are eligible to apply for a US residency and subsequently may practice medicine in the United States and Canada.
UMHS utilizes innovative teaching techniques such as a 24-bed virtual hospital, small class sizes with individualized attention, and the use of technology to enhance instruction. The faculty is highly credentialed and recruited primarily from the United States.The Course Description for the Behavioral Science course is:
MBEH 0830 Behavioral Science 5 credits
Behavioral Sciences stresses the complex relationship between psychological make-up and experience, by providing a knowledge base for normative and non-normative human development throughout the life cycle. The course also introduces the student to the behavioral basis of clinical medicine by focusing on common behavioral problems and the circumstances that evoke important behavioral / emotional responses. The concept of culturally competent care will be defined, and the basics of recognizing organic and functional psychological disturbances are described. Workshops on realistic clinical problems are an integral part of this course; sexual dysfunction, bereavement, suicide and sociological disorders received detailed attention. Additionally, the student should develop increased insight into personal functioning and feelings and develop the skills needed to act as an empathetic and effective interviewer and behavioral change agent.
UMHS utilizes innovative teaching techniques such as a 24-bed virtual hospital, small class sizes with individualized attention, and the use of technology to enhance instruction. The faculty is highly credentialed and recruited primarily from the United States.
Send letter of interest, CV, and references to: Dr. Jerry Thornton, Executive Vice President
firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com
See more at: http://www.umhs-sk.org