Shenandoah University is seeking a Controller. Reporting to the
Vice President of Finance and CFO, the Controller serves as a
financial business and accounting leader for the University.
The Controller is responsible for planning, developing,
implementing, and evaluating all accounting functions of the
University as well as serving as a senior level advisor for the VP
for Finance and CFO and other University executives on the
financial position of the University.
This is a full-time benefited exempt position located on our main
campus in Winchester, Virginia, which may be partially remote
following the initial 90-day probationary period.
Essential Functions, Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate all accounting functions
of the University; serves as a senior level advisor for the VP for
Finance and CFO and other University executives on the financial
position of the University.
- Provides oversight of the Office of the Controller including
general accounting, endowment, gifts and grants accounting,
purchasing and accounts payable, payroll, and other accounting
- Responsible for the timely and accurate maintenance of general
ledger, transaction, and financial management reporting, including
monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements,
reconciliations, tax returns, compliance surveys and management
- Responsible for producing ad hoc financial reports and analysis
to support decision making.
- Provides support for the accounting for endowments and
investment activities, including endowment management software and
- Ensures alignment with Finance Division and University-wide
strategy, goals, and objectives.
- Develops metrics to ensure activities support this
- Assists in compilation and preparation of financial analyses,
trends, and reports, whether financial or operational in
- Oversees financial accounting functions and data processing,
ensuring accounting procedures are being followed utilizing
- Manages the University's external financial reporting process.
Manages the timeliness and completeness of monthly, quarterly, and
annual reconciliations and reports to support continuous external
auditing and financial reporting integrity for senior leadership
and the Board of Trustees.
- Establishes and maintains comprehensive internal controls
designed to mitigate risk, protect assets, and support the
financial infrastructure of the university.
- Ensures appropriate financial systems and internal controls are
in place to safeguard University assets and accounts are
appropriately maintained to accurately reflect accurate financial
- Monitors and oversees all University asset and liability
accounts; ensures proper accounting methodology, techniques,
policies, and reconciliations are adopted in Finance Division and
- Establishes accounting policies and procedures for the
University's accounting and financial transactions, ensuring they
meet standards of internal control and compliance and consider an
appropriate balance of cost vs. benefit.
- Partners with Human Resources on procedures and operational
areas that affect payroll services and fringe benefit pool
- Assists the Vice President of Finance and CFO with budget
development and operational area analysis in coordination with
Budget and Resource Planning staff
- Provides oversight to the annual external audit process and the
compilation of the University's corporate and other GAAP financial
- Recognized as a subject matter expert for financial audits and
must be able to work successfully with external auditors.
- Ensures timely distribution of the University's financial
statements and other financial data to all internal and external
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
Position Preferred Qualifications/Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business, or related field
- 10+ years of accounting or financial reporting experience which
must include higher education accounting, large complex
organization accounting and/or auditing experience and direct
- An in-depth working knowledge of GAAP, Financial Accounting
Standards Board (FASB), American Institute of Certified Public
Accountants (AICPA), and federal compliance requirements.
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague or other ERP financial
systems is required.
How to Apply:
- Certified Public Accountant
- Demonstrated effective interaction with cabinet members and
governing board members
- Master's degree in Business, Accounting, or related field is
The complete application will include a cover letter, resume and
contact information for three professional references. The review
of applications will begin immediately and continue until a
qualified candidate is selected.
Shenandoah University is committed to enriching its educational
experience and culture through the diversity of its faculty,
administration, and staff. All candidates are strongly encouraged
to include a statement in their cover letters addressing ways in
which they may be able to contribute to that commitment.
**Note: A pre-employment background check, as well as a
satisfactory driving record, will be required as a condition of
Shenandoah University values the unique and diverse
perspectives of individuals and communities locally and globally
and seeks to foster mutual understanding in an inviting community
where individuals are welcome and respected. The university does
not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin,
age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran’s
status or on any other basis protected under applicable