Research Security and Export Control Officer
Arizona State University
Department: ORSPA Proposals & Negotiations
Req ID# 81169BR
The department is seeking a Research Security and Export Compliance Officer that understands the university research and academic compliance programs. This individual will promote a culture of compliance by leading and coordinating institution – wide compliance initiatives.
This position will develop, implement, monitor and communicate compliance trainings regarding export controls, undue foreign influence and research security. The ideal candidate should be proactive, solid understanding about export compliance and secure research programs and have an interest in advancing the university knowledge base.
Salary Range: $57,700 - $90,000 per year; DOE.
Close Date: 25-August-2022
- Primary contact for internal and external inquiries regarding export controls, undue foreign influence and research security.
- Work with subject matter experts to develop, manage and coordinate University processes that ensure compliance with all research security laws and regulations, including export controls, foreign influence vulnerability, international collaborations and intellectual property
- Develop and maintain monitoring tools and documentation.
- Lead responses to compliance violations.
- Coordinate and communicate compliance concerns with Research Office, departments and other University Stakeholders related to both fundamental and restricted national security research.
- Develop Technology Control Plans
- Obtain export control licenses
- Conduct screenings for foreign national students and scholars
- Develop a University-wide training program in research security best practices and regulations.
- Perform gap analysis of existing processes and policies.
- Build strong relationships and feedback loops to help inform content development and improve existing knowledge bases.
- Partner with department management and other stakeholders to develop, prioritize training needs to drive an increase in understanding federal regulations, state regulations and University policies and procedures
- Responsible for monitoring, reporting and analytics of training activities related to area of assignment.
- Assist with University responses to undue foreign influence investigations and inquires.
- As appropriate collaborates and shares best practices within a wider body of similarly situated universities.
- Assume or coordinate other duties or projects as assigned.
Bachelor's degree AND five (5) years of related administrative experience including two (2) years of supervisory experience; OR, Eleven (11) years of related administrative experience including two (2) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Evidence of effective presentation skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of research compliance business processes.
- Proven track record of solving complex problems.
- Experience in taking initiative.
- Experience in researching and grasping emerging technologies content quickly.
- Experience in facilitating virtual and in-person training sessions/classes
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with and staff in a higher education or research administration environment.
- Evidence of effective communication.
Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding, and manipulating a computer mouse (75%); required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work (10%) Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds (15%) Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear to perform essential functions. Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.; Receives managerial review of assignments for adherence to established objectives and goals Provides regular daily review of work activities to staff to ensure compliance with established standards.
ASU Knowledge Enterprise advances research, innovation, strategic partnerships, entrepreneurship, and international development. Our success arises from solutions-focused, interdisciplinary research; an entrepreneurial approach that is embedded in every school and department; and a commitment to transform society in a positive way. To learn more about how Knowledge Enterprise is a place for your career to grow, visit https://research.asu.edu/about-us/careers.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
To apply, please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ (See Req ID# 81169BR), or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494#jobDetails=4576536_5494