Montclair State University (MSU) is a nationally recognized Research Doctoral University that
empowers students, faculty, and researchers to exceed expectations and drive innovation. Montclair
State University delivers the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a
supportive, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment. Building on 114 years of distinguished
history, MSU today has 10 colleges and schools that serve 21,000 undergraduate and graduate
students with more than 200 doctoral, master’s, and baccalaureate degree programs. MSU ranks
among the top 20 universities nationally for social mobility and is noted for its exceptional student
outcomes that far exceed experts’ predictions. MSU is also one of only two federally designated
Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI) in New Jersey and the largest in the state.
Situated just 13 miles from New York City on a beautiful 252-acre suburban campus, the University
welcomes a diverse population of students representing 42 U.S. states and territories and 113
countries. As an HSI institution, Montclair State University is majority-minority serving. More than 33
percent of undergraduate students are the first in their family to pursue higher education and nearly
44 percent are Pell eligible. MSU also ranks in the top 13 percent of 4,500 postsecondary institutions
in the U.S. for return on investment. For more information about MSU please visit
The Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration (SVPFA) is a strategic advisor and critical
thought partner to the president and recommends financial and administrative objectives, policies,
programs, and practices that ensure a sound financial structure for the university. Reporting directly
to the president, the SVPFA serves as the top fiscal officer and a strategic, innovative, and
collaborative member of the senior leadership team of Montclair State University. This individual is
responsible for providing leadership and oversight of Montclair State University's infrastructure and
financial operations while ensuring absolute institutional integrity on fiscal and administrative
matters. The SVPFA will also work very closely with the provost, the senior vice president for
academic affairs, as well as other members of the university leadership team.
Stepping into this newly created role, the SVPFA will be responsible for developing and
implementing a financial vision that will enhance MSU’s future with an entrepreneurial mindset and
a focus on innovative budget management, resource allocation and management, and revenue
generation, while managing an operating budget in excess of $450 million. The SVPFA will work
closely with the president, Board of Trustees, and multiple stakeholders across Montclair State
University, including members of the faculty and administration. The SVPFA will oversee a team of
leaders in budget and planning, finance and treasury, human resources, information technology, and
university facilities, while supporting and maintaining the operational effectiveness and integrity of
Candidates with diverse professional experiences will be considered, although ideal candidates will
have demonstrated experiences which have prepared them to successfully execute the following
- Provide strategic analysis and counsel on all aspects of MSU’s financial and administrative operations in a complex unionized environment.
- Lead MSU in transparent, enterprise resource planning, including revenue modeling, strategic budget development, facilities and property strategy, cost management strategies, and stewardship of resources. Develop and implement university-wide long-range and short-range capital facilities plans.
- Oversee the development of annual and long-range operating and capital financial plans that are
- aligned with MSU’s strategic priorities.
- Identify and implement continuous process improvement initiatives in a collaborative manner to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of MSU’s operations and administrative processes.
- Develop and oversee the management of financial policies, systems, and operations ensuring compliance to state and federal regulations; aligning to MSU’s strategic initiatives and finding innovative ways to leverage resources in support of the mission..
- Oversee MSU’s administrative operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture ensuring team members thrive and MSU’s strategic goals are met.
- Develop strategic partnerships and enterprises to enhance revenue generation, including public/private partnerships and other business models.
- Drive MSU’s results from both an operational and financial perspectiv.
- Execute contracts, drafts, agreements, and perform other duties that provide for the effective operation of MSU.
- Actively participate with state and national professional organizations, as well as other colleges and universities, in order to remain current with fiscal responsibilities, educational development, theory, research, and programming.
- Oversee leaders responsible for Budget and Planning, Finance and Treasury, Human Resources, Information Technology, and University Facilities.
Montclair State University is being assisted in this recruitment by Spencer Stuart. Interested parties
should submit comments, nominations of others, or information in support of their own candidacy
to the confidential email address of the Spencer Stuart team: MSUSVPFA@spencerstuart.com.
A complete position description will be sent on request.