The Communication Studies Department at Rowan University is seeking
adjuncts to teach Sports Communication, Culture & Identity.
Qualified candidates must have at least an MA or MS in
Communication Studies (or closely related field) as well as
teaching experience at the college level.
Sports Communication, Culture & Identity is a course that
focuses on how race, class, gender, sexuality, ability, and
religion are viewed, discussed, and performed in athletics.
Concentrating on examining various areas in the field, the class
addresses depictions of athletes in the media, equity issues, as
well as the behaviors of consumers, among many other aspects.
The course objectives and learning outcomes are as follows:
- Critically examine sport
- Analyze participation in sport through a cultural lens
- Understand how sport is defined, viewed, and consumed
- Learn how sport intersects with gender, race, sexuality, class,
ability, religion and develop the capacity to see how these issues
are valued/not valued through how they are
Ability to teach Rhetoric of Sport as well as Organizational
Communication in Sports is considered a plus.
Interested candidates should apply through our online application
Candidates should submit:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vita
- Names of three references and/or letters from references
- Unofficial transcript from highest degree
- Statement of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Any other relevant material (including previous teaching and
student evaluations, if available)
Positions are dependent on funding and current need; thus
applications will be screened on a rolling basis. Applications will
be retained for future need if immediate openings are not
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US, and the
university will not sponsor an applicant for a work visa for this
Jul 8 2022 Eastern Daylight Time