Job Vacancy Announcement
COLLEGE POLICE AND EMERG MGMT
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, responsible for performing a variety of
law enforcement, crime prevention, and supervisory duties; performs
specialized police work in protecting life and property, preventing
violations, enforcing laws and regulations on college property;
performs duties of patrol officer, conducts investigations
apprehend violators; completes routine police reports and report
infractions of College rules and regulations; perform public
service tasks, perform a variety of operational and an
administrative duties of within the College Police; report
infractions of rules and regulations of the College.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Two years of college credit from an accredited institution; or
any combination equivalent to experience and education that could
likely provide the knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must have three years experiences as be a “certified police
officer” as stipulated by the Maryland Police & Corrections
Training Commissions ( MPCTC ).
- Must complete MPCTC training program for first line
- Ability to assign and supervise work of subordinate
- Demonstrate knowledge of standard police practices and
procedures associated with the operations of a campus law
- Knowledge criminal laws of evidence.
- Knowledge of laws of search and seizure.
- Knowledge relevant local, state and federal law.
- Ability to tactfully deal with people, conduct investigations,
and prepare detailed reports.
The following criteria, which are not the sole
criteria used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review
the applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process. A
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Serves as shift supervisor in the absence of shift
- Required to supervise and evaluate police officers, non-sworn
employees, and contract security officers as assigned.
- Responds to calls for service.
- Enforces traffic laws and regulations and issues citations and
- Presents oral testimony in court.
- Maintains security checks of the interior and exterior of
buildings and equipment; checks doors and windows.
- Maintains individual protection for all faculty, staff,
students, and visitors on campus.
- Accompanies college personnel transporting large sums of money
or other valuables to provide protection.
- Provides assistance and advice to students, faculty, staff and
visitors on campus security regulations.
- Investigates suspicious actions, persons, and other indications
of unusual activity.
- Prepares records and written reports as required.
- Reports the existence of dangerous or defective conditions to
the appropriate College departments.
- Patrols (on foot or by motorized vehicle) assigned areas of the
campus to preserve general order.
- Performs related work as required.
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively
communicate and interact with other employees and the public
through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally
defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel
objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and
operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not
limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax
machine. Significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching,
reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping,
and repetitive motions. Ability to lift and carry objects,
extensive walking, bending, kneeling, reaching, and handling of
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be able to work Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to the offer
of employment. A signed authorization for the release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
Is the incumbent responsible for working with minor children or
directly engaging with minor children on campus?
Posting Detail Information
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
; you will receive an email acknowledging
receipt of your application, upon which time no further
communication occurs unless selected for an interview or the
position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Serious applicants must complete an extensive background check
which takes approximately 5-6 months, including the
• Physical Ability test
• Oral Interview
• Truth Verification Examination (Polygraph)
• Drug Screening
• Physical and Psychological Examination (after Conditional Offer
of Employment); and
• Complete background investigation
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have three years experience as a certified police
officer as stipulated by the Maryland Police & Corrections
Training Commissions (MPCTC)?
- * Do you have a combination of education and related experience
for a total of at least three years? See minimum qualifications for
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3