- San Jose State University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jul 8, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Facilities Management & Physical Plant, Student Affairs, Residence Life
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director for Custodial Operations and the general supervision of the Associate Director for Facilities Operations, the Lead Custodian works independently to mentor, provide guidance, train and instruct a group of custodians in proper use of equipment, supply materials, chemicals, and accepted custodial techniques. The incumbent performs all duties in specifically assigned work area and is responsible for performing duties in other work areas as needed. Work areas are located within residential facilities and/or administrative offices and include the Classics residence halls, the Campus Village residential facilities and/or the trash/recycling rooms. Incumbent is responsible for maintaining the appearance and cleanliness of the work areas assigned and assisting Custodians in the performance of their duties. The Lead Custodian is required to use safe, approved methods and frequencies, which have been approved by University Housing Services. This position will be assigned to work weekends.
- Coordinate Residential Facilities Trash and Recycling Needs
- Provides daily custodial service during summer season to ensure quick turnaround of facilities as needed
- Maintain Appearance and Cleanliness of Residential Facilities
- Motorized Equipment Usage
- Perform Housekeeping Duties
- Clean Common Area Bathrooms
- Provides training in use of equipment, supplies and accepted custodial practices and techniques, and the safe use of equipment and materials
- Responsible for coordinating the major aspects of the University Housing recycling/trash program
- Assigns, review and inspect the work of assigned staff, including completing inspections forms
- Assists in maintaining employee time records and reporting absences and providing input to employee evaluations
- Plans, schedules and coordinates personnel and work assignments using computer or manual methods
- Uses computer for communications, research of tools and supplies, documentation of job-specific details and creation of reports
- Mentors and provides guidance to custodians for coordination of responsibilities, proper techniques and proper completion of work
- Serves on-call emergencies when needed
- Ability to lead the work of others including the ability to provide on-the-job training, and feedback on work performance
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the methods, materials, chemicals, and equipment used in custodial work
- Prior knowledge of custodial safety and sanitation
- Ability to measure methods appropriate to custodial operations
- Ability to use different types of custodial equipment including vacuum, high speed floor buffing machine, regular floor buffer, and standard carpet extractor, portable upholstery cleaner and wet/dry vacuum
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in 3 story low-rise double corridor residence halls without elevators, a 12-story high-rise tower residence hall with elevators, a 7-story mid-rise residential suite building with elevator, a 15-story high- rise residential apartment complex with elevator and a 8-story high-rise staff and faculty residential apartment complex with elevators located on campus
- Ability to lift and carry heavy equipment, trash and recycle up to 45 pounds for up to 4 hours; move objects up to 50 pounds if necessary ; walk and stand up to 7 hours; work both inside and outside of buildings
- Ability to work at a computer terminal and desk for long periods of time on projects; understand, interpret and apply policies and regulations in specific situations; observe rules, regulations and expectations to ensure a safe working environment
- Ability to work alternative work schedule including weekends and some holidays
- Equivalent to one to two years of related custodial experience and providing on-the-job training and leadership to others. Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation.
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- 3 years of experience as a custodian or lead custodian
- Training experience
- Experience working in a residential or university environment
- Experience working with custodial cleaning equipment
- Basic computer skills and knowledge
Classification: Lead Custodian
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,300/month - $3,500/month
Salary Range: $2,921/month - $5,138/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary .
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
CSU Vaccination Policy
The CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement as a condition of employment. The system wide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: July 08, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert