We are pleased to announce an open search for a full-time faculty position in Experimental Psychology with a particular focus on Cognitive Psychology, Psychology of Language, etc. The successful applicant is expected to teach general education, foundation, and area major courses in the College of Liberal Arts, as well as courses in the Graduate School.
International Christian University (ICU) is a private, bilingual university that provides a first-class liberal arts education in a culturally and religiously diverse international community of students, faculty and staff. ICU’s educational mission is based on Christian and democratic principles. ICU has approximately 3,000 students and over 150 faculty members from Japan and overseas. The university is located on a wooded campus in the suburbs of Tokyo.
Department of Psychology and Linguistics
Term of Employment
1. Assistant Professor:
Tenure-track position for an initial five-year term. (The term may be shortened to three years, depending on previous experience). If tenure is approved at the end of the term, the position will be made permanent and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor will be granted.
2. Associate Professor & Professor:
Employment until the mandatory retirement age of 65.
1. Salary: in accordance with ICU employment regulations
2. Allowances: available, in accordance with ICU employment regulations (e.g. commuting allowance)
3. Working hours: in accordance with ICU employment regulations
4. Social insurance: coverage by Promotion and Mutual Aid Corporation for Private Schools of Japan (PMAC), workers’ compensation, etc.
1. Ph.D. or equivalent in psychology or a related field is required.
2. Language of instruction: English (Knowledge of Japanese or willingness to learn Japanese is desirable) or English and Japanese
3. Christian (of any denomination). In exceptional circumstances, a non-Christian who affirms ICU's Christian ideals and commits to realizing them may be considered.
Deadline for Applications
Applications and supporting materials must be submitted no later than 15:00 September 30, 2022 (JST). (Deadline may be extended until an appropriate candidate is found.)
April 1, 2024
Application and Selection Process (Please note that all the built-in application methods are disabled)
1. Register your application online. https://business.form-mailer.jp/fms/d48ef54a175260
2. Submit all the application materials online as described below.
3. After documentary screening, short-listed candidates will be requested to give a lecture and will be interviewed.
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. List of Academic Publications (Do not submit actual publications unless requested.)
3. Name and contact information of three academic referees and one church minister/leader who can testify to the applicant's commitment to Christianity. We will approach your referees as necessary. (In the case of non-Christian applicants, please include within your cover letter a statement on your affirmation of ICU's Christian ideals and your commitment to realizing them. In this case, a pastoral reference is not necessary.)
4. Cover letter describing why you are applying for the position.
URL for Uploading
*ICU has a contract with Dropbox Education with high security. You do not need to create a Dropbox account to upload files, and you can ignore an email message that Dropbox will automatically send you telling you that the uploading of the files has been completed.
・Format : PDF
・Size : Less than 3 MB (per file)
・Combine the documents into one file if possible.
・File name : Family name_All (e.g. Smith_All)
*If it is not possible to combine the documents into one file, name the files as follows.
If online submission is not possible, please write to the contact person below.
Personal information will be treated with confidentiality.
3-10-2 Osawa, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo 181-8585, JAPAN
Prof. Tomoyuki Yoshida
Position of Contact Person
Chair, Department of Psychology and Linguistics