Concordia University Chicago (CUC), a comprehensive Christian liberal arts university, invites applications for the full-time, exempt position of Senior Director of Human Resources. This position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer/Senior Vice President of Finance and is located in River Forest, IL.
The Senior Director of Human Resources has authority over and is responsible for managing all human resources functions for the University: benefits administration, budget and planning, labor and employee relations, compensation, talent management, HRIS, and all human resources related compliance mandates for Concordia University Chicago. Additionally, the Senior Director will partner with the CFO/Senior Vice President of Finance and other members of leadership to develop and implement an overall personnel strategy that is in alignment with CUC's mission, vision, values, and strategic goals.
- Human Resources Management:
- Builds a culture of trust, collegiality, employee engagement, and compliance
- Effectively manages HR personnel, operations, and budget
- Continually monitors HR operations and determines appropriate technology systems and support
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Employee Recruitment and Selection:
- Partners with senior university leaders to recruit and retain a faithful, qualified workforce to advance the CUC mission
- Tracks and assesses CUC's effectiveness in recruiting personnel
- Analyzes and coordinates employee retention efforts
- Compensation and Benefits:
- Determines and approves compensation levels and practices for all positions prior to posting to ensure internal and external equity
- Primary institutional liaison with external providers for all employee health, welfare, and benefit plans. In partnership with executive leadership, reviews and analyzes current benefits offered through Concordia Plans
- Researches, analyzes, and recommends new benefits options by studying employee usage and requests, new trends and developments, programs offered by other organizations, as well as the costs and benefits associated with current and potential benefits
- Assists University Leadership with developing a total compensation philosophy and program geared towards attracting, retaining, and recognizing a faithful, qualified workforce
- Employee Relations:
- Informs and advises employees of HR-related policies, procedures and practices through the Employee Handbook
- Collaborates with supervisors in effectively managing employees
- Proactively offers solutions that align with mission and legal requirements
- Maintains visibility and availability in order to assist employees
- Serves as Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Collaborates with HR staff to administer FMLA and ADA requests
- Employee Training and Professional Development:
- Fosters a culture of professionalism, collegiality, employee engagement, and compliance by implementing effective training and talent management programs and by effectively receiving and responding to employee concerns
- Identifies employee development and training needs/ opportunities
- Implements the employee development plan
- Special Projects and other duties as assigned:
- Serves as a member of the University Leadership Team (ULT)
- Serves as the Administrative Liaison to Staff Council
- Candidates must support and be committed to the mission and identity of Concordia University Chicago, a university of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS).
- Strong business acumen partnered with attention to detail and the human element
- Thorough knowledge of employment law and regulations, as well as human resources best practices
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities, prioritize, and delegate when appropriate
- Strong administrative skills, including supervisory, leadership, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees
- Technically proficient with computer programs; specifically Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, & BANNER preferred
- Superior verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Enthusiastic supporter of Lutheran higher education and Concordia University Chicago
- Exhibits a service mentality toward all stakeholders
- All communication with stakeholders is effective, professional, accurate, and timely
- Improves work performance and that of others by being receptive to and appropriately sharing information
Minimum Experience Required:
- 7 years of progressively responsible HR experience required
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Experience in a faith-based organization preferred
- Master's degree in Human Resources, Business, or related field; OR comparable years of HR experience, education, and certification
- SPHR, SHRM-SCP, or other relevant HR certifications preferred
- Working knowledge of Title IX, HRIS, and wage compensation systems preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting range is dependent upon individual qualifications and experience. Concordia University Chicago benefit options include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and/or Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Disability and Survivor Plan (Basic Life Insurance)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Pension Plan
- Retirement 403(b) Savings Plan
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Tuition benefits (available for employees and their qualified dependents)
Interested individuals should include a cover letter, resume, and references with their online application.
In compliance with Illinois Governor JB Pritzker's Executive Order 2021-20, Concordia University Chicago requires all on-campus faculty and staff to submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or participate in weekly COVID-19 testing. Further information regarding Concordia's response to COVID-19 can be found here.
Concordia does not discriminate in the employment of individuals on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, sex or age. As an institution of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, however, and to the extent allowed by law, Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based upon religious affiliation.
Concordia University Chicago does not generally sponsor for employment visas except for positions that oversee, teach or support our international programs.
About Concordia University Chicago:
Concordia University Chicago is a liberal arts-based Christian university founded in the Lutheran tradition. Through its College of Theology, Arts & Humanities, College of Business, College of Education, and College of Health, Science & Technology, Concordia-Chicago offers more than 160 areas of study in small classes taught by professors who are passionate about teaching and student success. All undergraduate and graduate degrees are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Concordia University Chicago has been recognized as a College of Distinction since 2010, and is consistently ranked among the Best Regional Universities-Midwest by U.S. News & World Report. For more than a decade, combined undergraduate and graduate enrollment has exceeded 5,000 students. Concordia University Chicago is located in River Forest, 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. Learn more about our commitment to higher education, rooted in the Gospel, at CUChicago.edu.
Steadfast in Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, Concordia University Chicago promotes academic rigor in its liberal arts and professional programs; grounds students in objective truth, integrity, and excellence; and practices faithfulness to the Confessional teachings of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, as it forms students for vocations in church, family, and the world.