Please note this is a .5 FTE, Faculty Leadership position, based in the Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston, MA with the option for hybrid or fully remote participation.
The Master of Health Administration (MHA) program, an innovative online graduate degree launching in fall 2022, is seeking a program director. The director will lead curriculum development, faculty and student recruitment, and ongoing quality improvement in line with the MGH Institute’s mission and strategic plan. The successful program director will ensure that the program targets the needs of working professionals seeking to create meaningful impact in healthcare systems. The program director should demonstrate achievement in the scholarship of health administration as well as familiarity with the business aspects of academic program leadership.
- Oversee program development, faculty recruitment and assignment, and organization of the unit.
- Supervise the work of faculty and students in the program, assuring quality and integrity.
- Teach 1-3 courses annually.
- Represent the program in meetings, help shape the direction of the Institute, and address issues relevant to the Institute’s goals of excellence and growth.
- Pursue accreditation with Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education
- With the Office of Enrollment Services and the Office of Student and Alumni Affairs, the Director will coordinate the design and implementation of student recruitment and retention strategies.
- Contribute to the development of program budgets and maintain spending in line with projections
- Establish and encourage mutually beneficial collaborations with other clinical, research, and academic facilities.
- Build and maintain communication with friends of the program, as well as local, state, and national professional associations and prepare to engage alumni.
- Maintain an atmosphere of respect, collegiality, support, and encouragement for diligence, creative effort, and professional excellence among faculty, staff, and students.
- Develop and implement academic standards and policies.
- Assure that the IHP values regarding Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are evident in all aspects of the program
- Earned advanced degree (preferably doctoral) in health administration or related field
- Experience with teaching and practice in health administration
- Knowledge of best practices in graduate education, online/hybrid course delivery
- Evidence of scholarship appropriate to the discipline
- Evidence of motivation to collaborate in innovative educational efforts
- Commitment to flexibility and collaboration in a changing health career environment
- Demonstration of faculty and student mentorship
- Experience in specialized program accreditation
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Administrative Skills- Manage staff and contract workers.
- Technical Skills- Proficiency with computer software and databases.
- Physical Capabilities – The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be mobile; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; and communicate orally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Some travel may be necessary in this position.
The Director supervises faculty and staff in the unit.
The Director will participate in the development of the annual budget in collaboration with the Dean.
Office environment in Charlestown Navy Yard
ABOUT MGH INSTITUTE:
MGH Institute of Health Professions is a graduate school in Boston that provides entry-level and post-professional programs in Nursing, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Genetic Counseling, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Studies. The PhD in Rehabilitation Sciences and a PhD and Master of Science in Health Professions Education have been added in recent years to meet rising demand for highly educated health care professionals, educators, and researchers. Integrating classroom learning with research and clinical experience, the Institute grants doctoral degrees, master's degrees, awards certificates of advanced study, and offers continuing education to practicing professionals.
The IHP is the only degree-granting affiliate in Mass General Brigham (MGB), the largest private employer in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Institute has been recognized multiple times by The Chronicle of Higher Education as a “Great College to Work For.” A leading health sciences educational institution, MGH Institute provides students with outstanding academic programs, many of which are ranked among the best in the nation.
MGH Institute of Health Professions has announced an organization-wide anti-racism initiative to think boldly about race and bring together all members of the IHP community to address systemic racial injustice as well as oppression more broadly. The plan seeks to create a supportive and inclusive campus environment and better support the diverse communities the school serves. We are excited about this new initiative and are hiring employees who are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion and will contribute to our anti-racism and anti-oppression approach.
The MGH Institute of Health Professions is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We welcome nominations and applications from individuals who would bring diversity of experience, thought and practice to the Institute’s research, teaching and clinical missions. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.