Virginia Military Institute (VMI) seeks a passionate, creative, and service focused professional to join Preston Library as User Engagement and Experience Librarian. The successful candidate will identify, advocate, and develop innovative approaches to the delivery of services, outreach and programming that cultivate and promote Preston Library’s commitment to VMI’s teaching, learning, and research endeavors. With a primary focus on the user experience, this position will have a crucial voice in our efforts to optimize all aspects of Preston Library’s online and in-person services, resources, and spaces. In collaboration with respective stakeholders, this position will employ UX strategies and methodologies to develop user-centered services, space utilization, and discovery.
Integral to this position are the skill set areas of marketing, outreach, and community engagement as suitable candidates will be expected to act as a liaison to academic departments, providing subject-area specific consultations, reference, and instruction.
This position is a full-time, non-tenure-track, Administrative/Professional Faculty Librarian reporting to the Library Director.
- Collaboration with library colleagues to lead the development, evaluation, and implementation of innovation, user-centered services, including physical and virtual spaces using UX best practices. Provides outreach that promotes library resources, programs, and services including the creation and dissemination of dynamic and consistent print and electronic messaging and marketing materials; coordination of library events; and establishment and maintenance of relationships with VMI’s Office of Communications and Marketing, Information Technology, and student services offices to heighten awareness of Library activities, services, and initiatives. Provides research and instruction services including participation in evening rotations. Participates in collection development activities. Serves on the Library’s leadership team and facilitates communication and coordination with other departments in the library. Serves as Library Liaison to multiple academic departments. Participates in local, state, and national professional organizations. Other duties as assigned
- Successful project management experience
- Knowledge or familiarity with strategies and methods for optimizing the user experience
- Experience with UI design, UX, or HMI
- Experience in graphic design, including knowledge of interactive and user interface design practices
- Experience planning programs and events
- Academic library work experience
- 2 years of relevant experience
- Master’s Degree from an American Library Association-accredited graduate program or related graduate degree
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Compensation and Benefits
The salary is competitive, commensurate with experience. As a state institution, VMI offers an attractive benefits package, including health and dental insurance and retirement options. .
In addition to the online application please include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references.
Review of online applications will begin 30 July 2022, although applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Initial interviews will be conducted via Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
Virginia Military Institute is a state-supported four-year undergraduate military college offering leading academic programs in the liberal arts, engineering, and the sciences. It is located in the southern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Lexington, Virginia (pop. 7,000), is also home to Washington & Lee University and offers a stimulating cultural atmosphere in a pleasant, rural setting.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal education and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans to apply.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are also encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.