- Full time continuing
- Contribute to School of Social and Political Sciences based strategic research themes, and play a role in initiating new research and teaching initiatives
- Academic Level B, Base Salary $113,184 - $134,403 p.a. + 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School of Social and Political Sciences (SSPS) is seeking to appoint a continuing Lecturer (Level B), specializing in Data Analytics in the Social Sciences.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse ranges of humanities and social science studies in the Asia-Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the top 20 faculties of its kind.
The School is composed of the Disciplines of Anthropology, Government and International Relations, Political Economy, and Sociology and Criminology. It offers innovative degrees at undergraduate and postgraduate levels that attract the very best students from Australia and overseas. SSPS is the focus for the strategic development of the social sciences at the University of Sydney with a goal of becoming Australia’s leading centre for research and teaching in the field.
The School is a dynamic unit. In the most recent national research assessment exercise (Excellence in Research for Australia, 2018), Political Science and Sociology at the University of Sydney were awarded the highest possible 5 rating, indicating “well above world standard”. The School has considerable success in attracting external research funding. It hosts the Sydney Centre for Healthy Societies and the Centre for International Security Studies. It is engaged in a series of interdisciplinary networks and projects in the University, including the Sydney Policy Lab, the Sydney Environment Institute, the China Studies Centre and the Sydney Southeast Asia Centre.
The successful appointee will be appointed by the School will be expected to contribute to the full range of School activities.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- build our strategic capacities in engaged research and engaged education
- teach into our undergraduate and postgraduate programs
- contribute to Faculty strategic research themes based in the School
- play a role in initiating new strategic research and teaching initiatives within the School, Faculty and University.
We are looking for a Lecturer in Data Analytics in the Social Sciences who possesses:
- a PhD in a social science discipline or cognate data science field
- expertise in digital data analytics and computational methods for social science research, including visualisation methodologies
- focused expertise in the use of data analytics to address pressing social science questions and problems
- a strong track record of scholarly publication, including publications in highly ranked journals
- teaching experience at undergraduate level in the area of data analytics for the social sciences
- capacity and potential to leverage external research grants, including industry funding, in collaborative interdisciplinary teams
- strong communication, collegial and team-based skills.
- expertise in cybersecurity
- teaching experience at postgraduate levels in the area of data analytics for the social sciences
- HDR supervision experience
- experience of working in data-based interdisciplinary projects
- potential to develop responsible leadership skills.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
For the right candidates, visa sponsorship is available for this position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, women, people living with a disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and those who identify as LGBTIQ. We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to Apply
Please follow the link to apply - https://usyd.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/USYD_EXTERNAL_CAREER_SITE/job/Camperdown-Campus/Lecturer-in-Data-Analytics-in-the-Social-Sciences_0094447
11:59pm, Monday 8 August 2022