Job Title: Sonography (Noninvasive Cardiovascular Technology) Instructor - Tenure Track - SCC
Location: Spokane Community College, 1810 N Greene Street, Spokane, WA 99217
Salary: $64,032.00 - $68,192.00 Annually
Job Type: Faculty
Department: SCC Allied Health
Closing: 8/4/2022 4:00 PM Pacific
Community Colleges of Spokane (CCS) District Equity Statement
CCS believes that access to high-quality education in a safe and inclusive environment is the right of all individuals and imperative for the continued advancement of a strong democracy and workforce. We also believe higher education institutions have an obligation to work toward and demonstrate progress in ensuring equity amongst their students, faculty, and staff. Equity is grounded in the principle of fairness. In higher education, equity refers to ensuring that each student receives what they need to be successful through the intentional design of the college experience.
Spokane Community College (SCC) is a beautiful campus set along the Spokane River and near the urban city center of Spokane. Spokane is a mid-sized city in the inland Pacific Northwest with a high quality of life and quick access to the outdoors. In addition to the 148-acre main campus in Spokane, SCC serves over 10,000 square miles in eastern Washington including educational centers in Colville, Newport, Inchelium, and Republic. More information about relocating to/living in Spokane is available here: http://ccs.spokane.edu/Working-for-Us/Relocation-and-Living-in-Spokane.
SCC is one of two accredited community colleges that comprise the Community Colleges of Spokane. Serving about 22,000 students, SCC is an educational leader and responsive partner with the community and region to provide access to relevant programs of the highest quality. Offering state-of-the-art career technical programs (approximately 50% of total enrollment) as well as liberal arts/transfer programs (about 25%) and basic education for adults (about 25%), SCC’s comprehensive opportunities transform lives and enrich our communities. As a college we are collectively committed to the work that embraces diversity, promotes equity, and fosters inclusion and global awareness at every level of our college.
Spokane Community College seeks qualified candidates for consideration of employment in this annually contracted, tenure track position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare for and instruct, through traditional classroom and distance education modes, professional/technical classes in the discipline of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vascular Technology, and/or Echocardiography, with a focus on laboratory experiences in each specialty area.
- Maintain the laboratory space, including, but not limited to, cleaning/disinfecting equipment, ordering and stocking supplies, laundering linens, and maintaining general cleanliness and organization in the lab.
- Assist program directors of the above-mentioned programs with clinical education and coordination, including, but not limited to, assisting in assignment of clinical education sites, communication with clinical education affiliates and students, and evaluation of student experience in the clinical environment.
- Provide availability and accessibility to students for purpose of academic consulting and support, in a manner appropriate to meet student needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication.
- Communicate expectations and establish clear grading criteria through appropriate instructional means, to include but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the instructional process; evaluates student progress and provides clear, timely feedback.
- Participate in district, division, department, or general faculty meetings; in-service training; curriculum development; academic consulting; workshops or seminars; service on district or college councils or committees, or other activities within the scope of the position.
- Comply with state and federal law applicable to professional duties and responsibilities; follow established procedures in areas such as printing, turning in grades, bookstore orders, office support, student financial aid requirements, safety and health issues and related administrative processes.
- Model professional decorum and mutual respect in all personal interactions.
- Comply with district policies, procedures and directives, state and federal regulations, orders and statute and collective bargaining agreements.
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned.
- In addition, faculty may:
- Instruct courses in related disciplines based upon individual qualifications and expertise.
- Supervise paraprofessional employees or direct the work of assigned work-study students.
- Responsible for ensuring assigned staff adhere to acceptable behavior and performance standards. Demonstrate that assigned staff have been informed how behavior and performance will be assessed, receive timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and any observed performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly.
- Advise student clubs or associations.
COMPETENCIES & OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (Minimum Qualifications)
- An earned associate’s degree in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vascular Technology, and/or Echocardiography, or a related field from an accredited institution, or a combination or education and experience, with an emphasis and concentration in the teaching areas outlined above.
- Two (2) years of relevant work experience in the field of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vascular Technology, and/or Echocardiography.
- Hold at least one examination certification offered through the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, and/or Cardiovascular Credentialing International in the areas of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vascular Technology, and/or Echocardiography.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that community colleges serve in higher education and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of the Community Colleges of Spokane.
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution and the community/technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES (Desirable Qualifications)
- An earned bachelor’s degree or higher in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vascular Technology, and/or Echocardiography, or a related field from an accredited institution.
- Recent, college-level teaching experience.
- More than two (2) years of experience in the fields of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vascular Technology, and/or Echocardiography.
- Work experience in more than one of the specialty areas in sonography (Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vascular Technology, and/or Echocardiography).
- Hold more than one examination certification through the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography and/or Cardiovascular Credentialing International.
- Ability to employ various formats and styles in teaching to include distance learning.
- Be an advocate of community college education.
- Additional certifications in echocardiography and/or vascular technology through ARDMS or CCI.
CONDITIONS/TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time, tenure track position with an entry level base salary (for a 175-day academic year contract) of $64,032 - $68,192 / year. Future advancement in base salary is based upon a combination of years of service accrued at our college and professional development activity.
Annual salary is comprised of base salary plus any combination of academic year overload contracts, summer effort contracts, project stipends, student club advising stipends, and/or department chair /program lead faculty stipends consistent with the provisions of the current collective bargaining agreement between CCS and the Association for Higher Education (AHE).
More information regarding faculty earning potential and the Faculty Salary Scale can be found here: https://ccs.spokane.edu/Working-for-Us/Types-of-Positions.
TOTAL COMPENSATION: $80,742 - $85,274.
Total compensation is an estimate based upon adding the following amounts together:
- Base compensation, plus
- Current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates, plus
- Median retirement fund contributions.
The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
CCS reserves the right to cancel this recruitment without notice. Union membership is no longer a condition of employment although this position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. Anticipated date of employment is September 19, 2022.
CONDITIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position. Once an applicant is chosen for an interview, they are required to complete and submit a declaration regarding sexual misconduct and investigation per state law.
Per Governor Inslee’s Proclamation 21-14 (Download PDF reader), state employees must be fully vaccinated and your vaccine status will be verified at New Hire Intake. Please reach out to Reggie.Eans@ccs.spokane.edu if you need information on a medical accommodation or Macki.Snyder@ccs.spokane.edu if you need information on a religious exemption.
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. PST on August 8, 2022. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive resume. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- College transcript(s) - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.*
NOTE: All of the above are required to ensure your consideration for this position. The item(s) marked with an asterisk are required attachments to your application prior to submission. If you require an accommodation during the application or interview process, please contact HR at CCS.firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Colleges of Spokane does not discriminate in its programs, activities and employment on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, marital status, pregnancy, parental status or families with children, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, AIDS/HIV or hepatitis C, honorably discharged veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, use of trained guide dog or service animal by a person with disability, genetic information or any other legally protected category. Please direct all inquiries regarding compliance with access, equal opportunity and/or grievances to the Chief Administration Officer, Community Colleges of Spokane, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., PO Box 6000, MS 1004, Spokane WA 99217-6000 or call 509-434-5037; WA Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.
Native Land Acknowledgement
We are honored to acknowledge that the Community Colleges of Spokane, and our main campuses for Spokane Falls and Spokane Community College, are located on the traditional and sacred homelands of the Spokane Tribe. We also provide services in a region that includes the traditional and sacred homelands of the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation and the Kalispel Tribe. The CCS Pullman Center operates on the WSU campus and is located on the ancestral homelands of the Palus people and on the ceded lands of the Nimíipuu (Nez Perce) Tribe.
We pay our respect to tribal elders both past and present as well as to all indigenous people today. This land holds their cultural DNA and we are honored and grateful to be here on their traditional lands. We give thanks to the legacy of the original people and their descendants and pledge to honor their stewardship and values.