Chief of Staff
Public Education Foundation
Background: Having made considerable progress on our core strategic goals, balanced one of our largest budgets in twenty years, signed an agreement to move into new mission-focused offices, and been recognized as a thriving, mission-centered organization, Public Education Foundation is poised to begin its most powerful work yet. To ensure that PEF capitalizes on this opportunity, we are looking to add a talented Chief of Staff to our team.
The core goal of this new staff member will be to increase organizational effectiveness and empower a skilled staff to make even greater progress on new strategic opportunities. The core responsibilities of the Chief of Staff will be to
- Ensure strategic and efficient workflow within PEF: The chief of staff will provide executive level support to senior staff to ensure bold progress towards PEF’s strategic goals. From time to time, the COS will also take primary responsibility for carrying out targeted short-term projects.
- Help design and drive meetings of PEF’s senior leadership team and staff: The Chief of Staff will take primary responsibility for constructing strategic agendas for the twice monthly meetings of PEF’s senior leadership team and PEF’s monthly all-staff meetings. The COS will distribute materials before and conduct follow-up after these meetings.
- Support the creation of an inspiring and visionary strategic plan: For the last twenty years, PEF’s strategic plan has driven its work. In the fall of 2022, PEF will develop its next strategic plan. The COS will be responsible for securing the active participation of PEF’s board of directors and staff as well as conducting research and gathering input and advice from partners and experts across Hamilton County, the state of Tennessee, and the US. After the completion of the strategic plan, the COS will regularly assess PEF’s progress towards achieving this plan.
- Produce and disseminate compelling and timely communications: In any fast moving and mission driven organization, clear and compelling communication is vital. The COS will support PEF’s president and senior staff to ensure that all members of PEF’s team get the information they need when they need it. The COS will also support the president’s external communication with local, regional, and national audiences.
Qualifications: We are seeking candidates with a minimum of five years of work experience that includes effective project management with highly skilled professionals. Candidates must be completely committed to public education and the value of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated success in the following skills:
- Project management: Supporting complex initiatives that involve multiple external partners and clear and compelling performance measures will be a central function of our COS. We are looking for someone who can support talented people while simultaneously serving as a “warm demander” who taps into our team’s creativity and keeps projects moving forward.
- Organizing and leading effective meetings: A core function of the COS will be organizing and leading meetings of PEF’s senior leadership team and PEF’s staff. In this role, the COS must demonstrate considerable skill in critical thinking and engaging a highly skilled and deeply committed staff.
- Strategic Planning: While PEF will contract with a national consultant to lead its strategic planning effort, the Chief of Staff will be responsible for securing board and staff involvement in the creation of the strategic plan. The COS will also collect and analyze information and advice from local, regional, and national partners.
- Communication: Our chief of staff must speak and write in a clear and compelling fashion that projects passion, urgency, and humanity.
- Building and sustaining warm, collegial relationships with a hard-charging, mission driven senior staff: PEF’s success and national reputation have been built by the extraordinary work and exceptional talent of its staff. The COS must be able to earn the trust, respect, and affection of a group of exceptionally talented and deeply committed professionals.
We believe the successful candidate will be smart, hard-working, strategic, organized, extremely adept at communicating, and deeply committed to social justice and the promise of public education. The Chief of Staff will report directly to PEF’s president and will not supervise any staff members.
Interested candidates should send a resume and a letter of interest that describes their success in one or more of the Chief of Staff’s core responsibilities to
Chief Financial Officer
Public Education Foundation
835 Georgia Avenue, Suite 400
Chattanooga, TN 37402
OR to Larry Stone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will begin to review applications on August 1, 2022. All applications will be held in strict confidence.