Associate Professor in Science of Learning
The Science of Learning in Education Centre and Learning
Sciences & Assessment Academic Group
The National Institute of Education (NIE) is among the world’s top education institutes, recognised for its excellence in teacher education and educational research. NIE has played a key and pivotal role in shaping and developing Singapore’s teaching profession and landscape through evidence-informed, practice-focused and values-based programmes and initiatives.
An autonomous institute situated within the research-intensive Nanyang Technological University, NIE is consistently ranked within the top 15 in the world for research impact in the field of Education.
The Science of Learning in Education Centre (SoLEC) at NIE will advance high-quality, interdisciplinary Science of Learning research, coalescing the science of medicine, brain, body, and individual and social cognition, and an understanding of the interrelations and implications to the Singapore education system and broader international context. The center will complement NIE’s existing education research with state-of-the-art portable brain imaging, physiological data capture technologies, and employ modelling techniques to synthesize research investigations and findings across different disciplines. By driving and translating research that is informed by both educational practices as well as scientific & systemic knowledge, the center aims to optimize the core of human potential: successful human learning. More information is available at SoLEC.
The Learning Sciences & Assessment Academic Group (LSA AG) invites applications with an earned doctorate and research portfolio in Learning Sciences, for a tenure-track Associate Professor position. This is an excellent opportunity for outstanding scholars to engage in a dynamic department to advance our education and research goals.
LSA is an interdisciplinary academic group that focuses on understanding learning and assessment from multiple perspectives with the ultimate goal of enhancing and ensuring educative outcomes for all learners. Our mission is to enable educational practitioners to become designers of learning experiences and environments and active contributors in a reflective community of practice. The academic group is concerned with the relationship between theory and practice, and adopts a variety of methodologies, including but not limited to experimental studies, reflection-in-action, action research, design experiments and ethnography for the advancement of its research and teaching. We grapple with the tensions and the nexus between learning, assessment and instructional design, by mediating the design process as both a science and an art. Currently, we offer courses for initial teacher education, as well as graduate programmes such as the Master of Arts (Instructional Design and Technologies), Master of Education (Learning Sciences and Technologies), Master of Arts in Professional Education (Training and Development), Master of Teaching, Master of Science in Science of Learning, Doctor of Education (Technologies and Technology-Mediated Learning Environments) and Doctor of Philosophy (Education).
The Science of Learning in Education Centre (SoLEC) and the Learning Sciences and Assessment (LSA) Academic Group is looking for an Associate Professor. The Associate Professor will take a key role to build inter-disciplinary research collaborations locally and internationally, direct translational efforts for the research proposals planned and currently ongoing. This candidate will also support capacity building of the faculty and affiliates in SoLEC. The candidate will be responsible for teaching at the undergraduate, post-graduate and/or diploma (including pre-service and in-service) levels in LSA AG. In addition, the candidate is expected to carry out supervision of teaching practicum & postgraduate students in LSA and assist with administrative service in SoLEC. The incumbent will report on research and service to the Centre Director, Science of Learning in Education, and on teaching and supervision report to Head, LSA AG.
Successful candidates must have:
- A doctorate in a field relevant to Science of Learning
- At least five years of experience in leading an independent research program in education research, development, and/or translation;
- Ability to lead a large and diverse team of researchers to achieve organizational objectives through positive and collaborative approaches;
- Experience in overseeing or managing the operations of an education research laboratory or equivalent;
- Ability to identify and capitalise on opportunities to grow revenue or funding;
- Ability to develop a strategic plan including operationalising the strategy;
- Proven track record of successful grant writing ability through attainment of funding through a competitive peer-reviewed process;
- Track record of high quality publications including a demonstrated capability to build collaborative research partnerships locally, regionally and internationally;
- Familiar with current theories and practice of education research in general and in-depth knowledge of neuroscience- Science of learning, and/or technology-enhanced learning;
- Good track record of teaching in institutes of higher learning;
- Successful supervision to completion of postgraduate students;
- Excellent professional, cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills; and
- Experience working with governmental and other stakeholders
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- Develop curriculum/courses in Science of Learning.
- Teach courses related to Science of Learning.
- Support Centre Director on the identification and monitoring of performance benchmarks.
- Support Centre Director to identify and develops key research areas.
- Mentor the next generation of academic leads.
- Oversee and manages the research programmes.
- Develop competitive research proposals.
- Develop research teams.
- Support and promotes knowledge transfer between SoLEC, LSA, NIE, NTU and non-academic users of research.
- Identify, promote and contribute resources to SoLEC and LSA.
- Ensure that close links are maintained with the relevant professional, statutory and regulatory bodies pertaining to grants awarded
- Actively develops the SoLEC’s and LSA’s international academic profile.
- Act as an ambassador for SoLEC and LSA in raising its profile nationally and internationally.
- Represent SoLEC and LSA at key local and international stakeholders’ meetings.
- Communicate and engage staff in NIE and NTU policies and procedures.
- Teach existing and new courses at diploma, undergraduate, graduate, pre-service and in-service programmes.
- Supervise students in their dissertations/theses as well as student practicum and/or fieldwork in multi-cultural settings.
Please submit your application together with the following documents to us through : https://ntu.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/Careers/job/NTU-Main-Campus-Singapore/Associate-Professor-in-Science-of-Learning--The-Science-of-Learning-in-Education-Centre--and-Learning-Sciences---Assessment-Academic-Group---NIE-_R00010731
- Position code (AP_LSA) in the subject / title;
- Resume including a list of your qualifications, publications, grants and leadership experience, previous experience and a brief description of your achievements;
- Research statement indicating your research interests and achievements;
- 1 to 3 of your best publications;
- Name of 3 referees who must hold the rank of Professors or equivalent;
- Cover letter addressing how you meet the requirements of this position (optional);
- Any other documents that demonstrate your qualifications
Review of applicants will continue until suitable candidates are found.
More information on SoLEC and LSA can be found at https://www.nie.edu.sg/research/research-offices/office-of-education-research/science-of-learning-in-education/#:~:text=Welcome%20to%20the%20Science%20of%20Learning%20in%20Education,including%20neuroscience%2C%20cognitive%20science%2C%20psychology%2C%20technology%20and%20education and https://www.nie.edu.sg/our-people/academic-groups/learning-sciences-assessment
For enquiries, interested applicants may write to email@example.com
Note to applicants
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified (via email).