The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences of the
Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine invites
applications for a faculty position in Community Practice. This
position will be a full time, 12 month, clinical-track faculty
position. The successful candidate will share service and teaching
responsibilities with three other Community Practice faculty.
• Teaching will include clinical instruction of professional
students, interns, and residents in the Veterinary Teaching
Hospital and didactic and laboratory instruction in professional
curriculum. Community Practice supports an ABVP residency-training
program, and the successful candidate will share responsibilities
associated with resident training. There will be an expectation of
dedication toward teaching.
• Service will include management of patients and clients in the
Community Practice section of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital with
an emphasis on preventative health care and routine medical,
surgical and dental procedures. The successful candidate will also
be expected to participate in continuing education programs of the
College and participation in faculty governance activities.
• The applicant must be committed to excellent patient management
and client service.
• Creative scholarship contributions are expected and will be
commensurate with faculty assignment.
• Approximately 75% of effort will be in clinical instruction and
service with the remaining efforts in didactic instruction,
governance activities, scholarship and professional
• Generous retirement contributions by the institution
• Student loans payment support
• Paid moving expenses
• Negotiable percentage of time allocated for clinical service,
teaching, and research
• Salary will be competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s
experience and qualifications.
• 24 days per year of leave and carry over of 288 hours per
• Twenty-six weeks (1,040 hours) of personal sick leave upon hire.
Ten days can be used for family sick.
• Paid parental leave (320 hours) used for birth, adoption, foster
or custodial placement of a child and is available up to 6 months
from date of event. Can be used in addition to other leave. Must
have been employed for 12 consecutive months.
• Thousands of Hokie discounts managed by PerkSpot
• Qualifications include DVM or equivalent degree, a minimum of 5
years of small animal practice experience and/or board eligibility
or board certification in the American Board of Veterinary
Practitioners or American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
Candidates without board certification would be expected to achieve
ABVP certification as a condition of reappointment
• ABVP (canine/feline) board certification or board
• Experience and interest in canine and feline dentistry
• Track record of teaching excellence
• Multiple years of clinical experience
August 15, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Michael Nappier
during regular business hours at least 10
business days prior to the event.
July 1, 2022