Accounts Specialist (Payroll) Part-Time
The Accounts Specialist provides administrative support and a high
level of customer service to their assigned unit and the customers
served by the unit. The position is responsible for various complex
clerical accounting duties which involve maintaining financial or
statistical records, such as opening/closing accounts, posting to
ledgers, preparing journal entries and financial reports, payroll
processing, or performing collection duties.
The Accounts Specialist for Payroll is responsible for the
processing of payroll and maintenance of all associated payroll
records and files in an accurate, efficient, and effective manner.
A high level of internal and external customer service is required.
The Payroll Specialist also provides administrative support to the
Essential Job Functions of Position
Responsibilities for Payroll Processing:
Benefits Administration support includes but is not limited
- Review timesheets to identify those that need approval or
appear to be inaccurate and initiate appropriate action to ensure
accurate, timely processing of nonexempt, student, and
- Initiate the appropriate computer processes to run
- Perform data entry for manual timesheets, supplemental, and
incidental pay requests.
- Identify and research pay discrepancies; determine and initiate
appropriate corrections and necessary adjustments when errors have
- Save electronic copies of applicable payroll and deduction
- Validate accuracy and completeness of information of new hire
onboarding documents. Update payroll deductions for new hires,
transfers, and terminations.
- Review W-4 and K-4 forms for completeness.
- Verify accuracy and completeness of direct deposit requests.
Establish or modify direct deposit information in the appropriate
- Process garnishment, child support, tax levy, and/or bankruptcy
- Maintain payroll forms on file for future reference and
- Study IRS list-serves and publications to stay abreast of tax
and reporting changes.
- Assist with preparing payroll tax returns, printing, and
transmittal of Forms W-2, 1099’s, running and reviewing relevant
reports, completing forms, etc.
Providing general administrative support to the Finance Unit,
- Inputting accurate employee deduction and withholding
information into the appropriate program. Retain reports as
- Maintaining files of appropriate employee benefit election
- Reviewing reports for accuracy of employee benefits changes and
- Preparing payment vouchers to initiate deduction
- Recording and tracking retiree records and employee leaves of
absence to ensure appropriate administration according to
University policy and statutory requirements.
- Creating invoices, statements, maintaining contact information
and elections, and collecting payment for retiree health insurance
- Providing appropriate responses (in substance and tone) to the
employee and departmental inquiries and those inquiries concerning
past and present employment as directed by University policy.
- Resolving routine payroll-related issues and consulting with
other staff members across departments as needed.
- Updating and maintenance of electronic files. (direct deposit,
onboarding, and current employee addresses).
- Scanning and Indexing Accounts Payable Invoices.
- Participating in cross-training between positions in the
Perform additional job-related duties as assigned or as
Non-Essential Job Functions of Position
Education and Experience
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Two years of experience in
one or in a combination of the following areas accounts payable,
receivables, payroll, or general accounting/bookkeeping, OR a
combination of education and experience in one or in a combination
of the following areas accounts payable, receivables, payroll, or
general accounting/bookkeeping equal to two years.
Preferred: Successful completion of two or more college-level
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Effective customer and communication skills. Proficient in using
Microsoft Office, especially Excel. Experience using computer-based
payroll or accounting systems. Ability to adapt to a changing
environment, manage multiple priorities, and work well in a team
Preferred: Experience in preparation and reconciliation of federal
and state withholding returns, year-end tax reports, and Forms W-2.
Understanding of laws and regulations relating to tax withholdings,
Fair Labor Standards Act, and employee vs. independent contractor
Licenses, Certifications & Registrations
Additional Requirements (e.g. Physical Demands)
Campus Security Authority
Special Instructions to Applicant
This will be a part-time permanent position.
$17.64 per hour
Other - Average of 4 hours daily M-F during the 9am to 3pm time
For an overview of the excellent benefits package Washburn provides
employees please visit
Average Hours per Week
Months per Year
Washburn is an EOE and dedicated to providing a student-centered
and teaching focused academic environment and a curriculum that
engages the diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek
candidates who are committed to Washburn’s efforts to create a
climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse
student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups
that have been historically underrepresented in higher education.
Application materials should clearly articulate how the candidate
will contribute to the University’s commitment to diversity and
inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its
programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status,
or marital or parental status.
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Required?
Driving History Checked?
Drug Screen Required?
Anticipated Start Date
Position End Date (if temporary)
For earliest consideration apply by
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled?
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * Do you have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent?
- * Do you have at least two years of experience in one or a
combination of the following areas: accounts payable, receivables,
payroll, or general accounting/bookkeeping, OR a combination of
education and experience in one or a combination of the following
areas: accounts payable, receivables, payroll, or general
accounting/bookkeeping equal to two years?
- I have at least 2 years of experience in one or more of the
areas listed above.
- I have a combination of experience and education in one or more
of the areas listed above equal to at least 2 years.
- No, I do not have the required experience or education as
- * Please select your Microsoft Office Excel proficiency level.
- * Have you completed two or more college-level accounting
- Cover Letter