Reporting to the Assistant Director of Admissions Events in the
Office of Admissions within the Division of Strategic Enrollment
Management and Student Success, the Admissions Counselor and Travel
Coordinator is responsible for the recruitment of new undergraduate
students to VCU, coordinating the travel plan for the department,
and supporting related Admissions events to meet the strategic
enrollment goals of the University. The ideal candidate has a
passion for VCU and encouraging students to pursue higher
education, is willing to travel extensively, and is excited to work
in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Undergraduate Recruitment (50%):
o Actively recruits and counsels prospective students and parents
from a diverse background by attending college day/night programs,
college fairs, visiting high schools, and community colleges.
Travels both in- and out-of-state for the university including
weekends. Schedules private visits with high schools and community
colleges in assigned geo-markets in a timely fashion providing
current information about VCU. Conducts follow-up visits with
appropriate correspondence and contact with counselors and
o Serves as a university liaison, provides customer service and
information about the university to prospective undergraduate
students, their parents, guidance counselors and other
o Assists in developing and implementing strategies and
programming, including virtual programs, particularly for bringing
more students to visit campus throughout the year and for
increasing yield in general.
o Represents the Office of Admissions at special events, on and off
campus, including open houses, yield events, panel discussions, and
o Conducts information sessions, interviews, campus tours, and
counseling sessions with prospective undergraduate students and
their parents to provide accurate information about the university,
admissions processes, their admissibility, and university policies
· Application Review (20%):
o Reviews assigned caseload of student application information to
determine admissibility to the university keeping in line with
deadlines and goals of the office’s review timeline.
o Accurately reviews and evaluates applicants to the Advanced
Scholars program and Visiting Students program in a timely manner
to determine their admissibility based on established criteria for
o Updates student information systems with student data as required
and makes contact with students and guidance counselors when
applicant information is incomplete or when additional information
· Travel and Recruitment Event Coordination (25%):
o Responds to event invitations and email inquiries; registers for
all college fairs; assists with the payment process of events in a
timely manner; and communicates with high schools and community
organizations on VCU representatives attending events.
o Enters travel information into the travel database and
communicates event details to admissions and university recruiters
in a timely manner. Assists with planning and coordination of all
travel for VCU regional recruiters and special guests including
researching flight and hotel accommodations.
o Develops relationships with school counselors and other event
planning administrators; assists with the promotion of VCU events.
Works closely with the Associate Director of Recruitment and the
Assistant Director of Admissions Events to assist with the
development, organization, and coordination of virtual and
in-person recruitment and yield events.
o Uses data effectively to research and identify potential
recruitment areas. Evaluates program effectiveness and provides
recommendations for future programming. Registers for and assigns
counselors and recruiters to events that promote VCU in high
visibility and target areas. Increases the efficiency of the
process of selecting, assigning and registering for these
o Works with university faculty and staff to assist with university
and departmental events.
o Serves as main contact for all visit and college fair
· Other duties as assigned (5%):
o Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience,
education, and training.
· Excellent oral and written presentation skills.
· Ability to use Office products including PowerPoint.
· Ability to provide clear direction and establish efficient
· Comfort with and the ability to travel for extended
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· A current driver’s license and current car insurance.
· Ability to work some hours over the University’s winter
· Ability to obtain and manage a VCU travel card.
· Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU.
· Experience in higher education, admissions, or recruitment
· Experience working with high-achieving students.
· Knowledge of VCU programs or prior VCU student.
· Previous customer service and public speaking experience.
Other Position Details:
· Full-time, year-round position with high and low periods of
activity. Competitive health benefits, leave and retirement
· Extensive travel is required – Trips with total mileage beyond 25
miles will be reimbursed, appropriate hotel and per diem expenses
will also be provided.
· Weekends and evening work is common and expected including
working hours over winter break.
· The employee will work a hybrid remote schedule that will include
an alternation of working from home and from the Office of
Admissions on VCU’s Monroe Park Campus.
Position Number: 550420
Position Title: Admissions Counselor and Travel Coordinator
Department: 1446TB Admissions Recruitment
Role Code: 10121 Student Recruiter AA 1
Position Type: Non-exempt
ORP Eligible?: No
Salary: Up to $40,000
Open Date: 7/1/2022
Close Date: 7/24/2022