Reporting to the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions in
the Office of Admissions within the Division of Strategic
Enrollment Management and Student Success, the Admissions Counselor
is responsible for the recruitment of new undergraduate students to
VCU. The ideal candidate has a passion for VCU and encouraging
students to pursue higher education, is willing to travel
extensively, is fluent in spoken and written Spanish, and is
excited to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
· Undergraduate Recruitment (50%):
o Actively recruits and counsels prospective students and parents
from a diverse background by attending college day/night programs,
college fairs, visiting high schools, and community colleges.
Travels both in- and out-of-state for the university including
weekends. Schedules private visits with high schools and community
colleges in assigned geo-markets in a timely fashion providing
current information about VCU. Conducts follow-up visits with
appropriate correspondence and contact with counselors and
o Serves as a university liaison, provides customer service and
information about the university to prospective undergraduate
students, their parents, guidance counselors and other
constituencies, particularly Spanish-speaking students and
o Assists in developing and implementing strategies and
programming, including virtual programs, particularly for bringing
more students to visit campus throughout the year and for
increasing yield in general.
o Represents the Office of Admissions at special events, on and off
campus, including open houses, yield events, panel discussions, and
o Conducts information sessions, interviews, campus tours, and
counseling sessions with prospective undergraduate students and
their parents to provide accurate information about the university,
admissions processes, their admissibility, and university policies
and procedures in both English and Spanish.
· Application Review (30%):
o Reviews assigned caseload of student application information to
determine admissibility to the university keeping in line with
deadlines and goals of the office’s review timeline.
o Updates student information systems with student data as required
and makes contact with students and guidance counselors when
applicant information is incomplete or when additional information
· Community Outreach and Communications (15%):
o Assists in outreach activities to attract new students from
underrepresented student populations by establishing strong working
relationships with community organizations, particularly in the
Latinx community, including assisting with bilingual communications
and marketing efforts.
o Assists with offering and conducting regularly scheduled creative
and engaging virtual and in-person recruitment opportunities and
programming for the Spanish speaking and Latinx community
o Assists middle and secondary school students in understanding how
to prepare for college and to be successful after enrolling in
· Other duties as assigned (5%):
o Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of experience,
education, and training.
· Fluent in spoken and written Spanish.
· Excellent oral and written presentation skills in both English
· Ability to use Office products including PowerPoint.
· Ability to provide clear direction and establish efficient
· Comfort with and the ability to travel for extended
· Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
· A current driver’s license and current car insurance.
· Ability to work some hours over the University’s winter
· Ability to obtain and manage a VCU travel card.
· Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU.
· Experience in higher education, admissions, or recruitment
· Knowledge of VCU programs or prior VCU student.
· Previous customer service and public speaking experience.
Other Position Details:
· Full-time, year-round position with high and low periods of
activity. Competitive health benefits, leave and retirement
· Extensive travel is required – Trips with total mileage beyond 25
miles will be reimbursed, appropriate hotel and per diem expenses
will also be provided.
· Weekends and evening work is common and expected including
working hours over winter break.
· The employee will work a hybrid remote schedule that will include
an alternation of working from home and from the Office of
Admissions on VCU’s Monroe Park Campus.
Position Number: 554240
Position Title: Admissions Counselor, Bilingual
Department: 1446TB Admissions Recruitment
Role Code: 10121 Student Recruiter AA 1
Position Type: Non-exempt
ORP Eligible?: No
Salary: Up to $39,000
Open Date: 7/1/2022
Close Date: 7/24/2022