Earlham College is a Top 100 National Liberal Arts College located
in Richmond, IN, a small city that's just a short drive away from
several major metropolitan areas including Dayton, Cincinnati,
Indianapolis and Chicago.
Richmond and Earlham have a symbiotic relationship. Through
research, studies, internships and volunteering, Earlhamites offer
Richmond expertise and service as Richmond offers our students the
chance to gain valuable, real-world experience. Our community
assumes no religious affiliation but follows Quaker principles and
practices, which include respect for persons, integrity, a
commitment to peace and justice, simplicity, and consensus-based
community decision-making. Earlham is committed to and proud of
being a diverse and inclusive place most clearly visible in our
student body: 20% of our student body are international, coming
from 60+ nations in 2022, and 24% are domestic students of color.
Faculty and staff also bring tremendous diversity to the College;
many have lived and worked outside the United States, and they make
a point of drawing on those experiences in their interactions with
students. Additionally, Earlham makes it a priority to serve as a
safe and welcoming place for LGBTQ+ communities and has a four-star
rating on the Campus Pride Index. Our community is characterized by
respect for every person and a commitment to social justice. Equity
and inclusion are central to Earlham's institutional priorities and
our leadership is committed to widening the path to an Earlham
Earlham College is seeking an Assistant Director to join our
Residence Life for Housing Operations team!
Earlham College seeks an innovative administrator to provide
direction, supervision, and management as part of the Office of
Residence Life's leadership team. We seek a welcoming individual to
collaborate with campus constituents to provide oversight of
housing operations supporting a dynamic residence education
Compensation includes a furnished two-bedroom apartment in a
residence hall or a campus apartment complex, full college
benefits, a partial meal plan, unlimited laundry, and reserved
parking. Salary is commensurate with education and
The Assistant Director of Residence Life has overall operational
responsibility for a comprehensive residential life program of
approximately 800-1000 student beds and facility management of
eight residence halls, an apartment complex, and about a dozen
houses central to a progressive, residential liberal arts
The primary functions of this role include work within the
- Community Development, Leadership, & Role-Modeling
- Administrative & Operational Tasks
- Facilities Management
- Student Engagement & Programming
- Student Staff Supervision & Development
- Crisis Management & On-Call Response
- Student Conduct & Well-Being
Some of the specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as the primary system administrator for Earlham College's
housing management system – Odyssey HMS/ResCenter, which includes
billing of room and meal charges.
- Manage all room selection and housing assignment
- Enforce housing policies on occupancy, eligibility for housing,
refund policies, and living in community in accordance with
Earlham's Principles and Practices.
- Assist with the training and ongoing development of three
full-time Area Directors as needed and, by extension, approximately
45 student staff members as directed.
- Responsible for regular communications, including updates to
College webpages, and prepares and distributes documentation of
housing processes and procedures.
- Demonstrates an active commitment to diversity, equity, and
inclusion while assisting with student retention initiatives that
work to improve the student experience at Earlham.
- Gives direct support for college-wide crisis intervention and
conflict management. An example includes serving as part of the
on-call response team.
- A more comprehensive list of responsibilities is available upon
- Additional duties as assigned
The review of applications will begin immediately and continue
until the position is filled.
- A graduate degree in student personnel, higher education, or a
related field is preferred.
- Minimum of three years experience of full-time professional
experience in Residence Life.
- Preference will also be given to those with experience in
student affairs assessment.
- Experience using BANNER or another comparable student
information systems database is required.
- A valid driver's license.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Candidates should clearly understand the role of residence life
at a private liberal arts college.
- Experience using CBORD's Odyssey HMS/ResCenter is
- Experience using Maxient case management software is
- Be a positive example and resource to all Earlham Students
Earlham College requires all employees to be vaccinated against
COVID-19 or apply for and receive a qualified exemption within two
weeks of the employment start date.
- Please submit the following application materials through our
Earlham Careers Portal
- Cover letter - Please address your thinking and experience with
matters of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, as it relates and
specifically pertains to this position.
- List of Three References with Contact Information
Earlham College is an equal opportunity employer committed to
building a diverse community, one that reflects the makeup of
society at large and that particularly welcomes and supports
individuals from groups that have been historically marginalized
because of factors such as race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity,
gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, and
physical ability. The College strongly encourages applications from
women and people of color. As an institution with a Quaker
identity, the College also solicits applications from members of
the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham's Work Authorization Policy
Earlham utilizes E-Verify
to confirm employment eligibility for all
newly hired employees within the United States.