The Director of Trailblazer Child and Youth Programs (CYP) oversees
the general organization and administration of a comprehensive
contract with the U.S. Navy’s Child and Youth Programs, which
provides interns to serve as support staff at early childhood,
school-age, middle school-teen centers located on Navy
installations worldwide. The Director of Trailblazer CYP is
responsible for the supervision, management, and direction of
interns and contract partner relations. In collaboration with other
departments within the university, the Director oversees the
supervision, training, and evaluation of all professional staff,
graduate assistants, student employees, and services of interns who
are engaged in the program.
- Oversee administration of all contracted U.S. Navy Child and
- Oversee the recruitment, selection, training, placement, and
evaluation of interns.
- Manage complex databases, including knowledge of developing,
delivering, and maintaining queries and reports to support
recruitment, admissions, and enrollment of interns in contracted
- Direct all risk management efforts to include, but not limited
to, developing and implementing travel, health, and on-site safety
policies and procedures required by contract partners and
- Remain abreast of program safety, security concerns and trends,
and crisis response as related to travel and program area
- Manage the budget, staffing reports, and program goals.
- Oversee federal background check process required for student
- Consult with university administrators, deans, department
heads, academic advisors, and other staff members to ensure
university priorities and procedures are met.
- Oversee the development of recruitment and training materials
for program interns.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and teams, while
collaborating with military contract partners and university
- Serve as on-call 24-hour first responder for all program
incidents and emergencies.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
- Travel may be required.
- Master’s degree in education, recreation, or related
- Ability to pass federal background check.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage urgent priorities with projects of various
sizes and timelines.
- Excellent organizational skills, with attention to detail,
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Leadership experience in a higher education study away programs
or study abroad, community engagement, and/or
- Experience studying, living, and/or interning abroad.
- Military experience.
- Experience with military child and youth programs.
- Experience managing databases.
professional staff (overtime-exempt) position. Annual salary of
$70,000+ depending on qualifications & experience. Desired
start date of August/September 2022. Excellent benefits package
included that begins on start date; includes medical, dental,
vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life,
disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees
and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to
sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.utahtech.edu/employee-benefits/
under 'Benefits Summary' for more details. Position contingent
upon U.S. Navy contract continuation for future
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Application review begins
August 1, 2022 .
Submit application materials
(including resume contents and contact information for three
professional references) and upload cover letter electronically.
If, because of a disability, you need special services or
facilities in order to apply for this opening, please call the
Human Resources Office at (435) 652-7520.
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Utah Tech University is an open,
inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution, committed to
exceptional student learning and success that has adopted an
instructional approach of 'active learning. active life' and a
culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and
staff committed to creating an active, applied and career-oriented
learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911
as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, our
university is located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red
rocks, desert climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and
featuring easy access to world-class outdoor recreational
opportunities. The nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120
miles), with amenities such as an international airport and
professional sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the
Utah Tech University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of
higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230
programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates,
endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. We seek to recruit and
retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas,
possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and
vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive,
comprehensive, polytechnic university. Utah Tech University is an
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer; the President and
employees of the University are fully committed to Affirmative
Action and within its programs and activities, including in
admissions and employment. Utah Tech does not discriminate or
tolerate discrimination, including harassment, based on race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, genetic information,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability,
status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by
University policy, Title IX, or any other federal, state or local
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing
regulations and/or the University’s non-discrimination
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for
Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org ,
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification.