Antelope Valley College
Clerical Assistant III, Student life
Salary: $3,579.03 Monthly
Deadline: 9/3/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Complete job description and application available
online at: http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=206179
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety
of responsible and technical clerical and typing work in support of
an assigned District function; provide work direction and guidance
to student assistants and other clerical personnel as assigned;
performs other related duties as may be assigned.
The Clerical Assistant III performs specialized clerical duties
or provides sole clerical support for an assigned function. Work
involves specialization in a specific functional area. Incumbents
are required to exercise independent judgment and may be assigned
lead duties. Incumbents in the Clerical Assistant II class provide
a variety of clerical support to other clerical or secretarial
staff and may perform some assignments independently. Incumbents in
the Clerical Assistant I classification perform routine and
repetitive general clerical duties requiring no previous
experience. Duties are performed with brief instructions and under
E = indicates essential duties of the position
• Plans, schedules and performs technical clerical duties
related to assigned function such as compiling information from a
variety of sources and preparing reports and forms as required by
District, County, State or federal regulations; communicates with
other agencies or departments to provide or obtain a wide variety
of information; provides cover for front desk or department counter
as assigned providing information and assistance to students,
potential students, clients and the general public regarding
program services and requirements. (E)
• Receives and screens phone calls and visitors; reports phone
problems; provides information and directs inquiries and visitors
to the proper person or office; provides technical information
concerning policies, procedures, rules, regulations and activities
of assigned program or office. (E)
• Composes correspondence either independently or from oral
instructions; prepares letters, memos, flyers, brochure, and forms,
requesting or providing information; prepares variety of mailings
as assigned. (E)
• Prepares, types, proofreads and duplicates a variety of items
including proposals, contracts, purchase orders, reports, agendas,
minutes and other documents. (E)
• Coordinates schedules and assists in communicating to others
regarding meetings, appointments, orientations, activities or
announcements; schedule meetings, conferences, and interviews for
supervisors and others; assembles, types and duplicates required
background materials. (E)
• Collects and accounts for fees and other monies received as
assigned; monitors and maintains office or program budget according
to established guidelines; types requisitions and processes
invoices according to established procedures. (E)
• Operates computer equipment to enter and retrieve data,
maintains records and generates reports; utilizes word processing
and other software as required by the position. (E)
• Prepares and maintains detailed and complex logs, timesheets,
files, records and software library including software licenses and
maintenance agreements; establishes and cross-references filing
systems as needed; maintains confidentiality of a variety of
sensitive materials and information. (E)
• Assures timely distribution, receipt, processing and
maintenance of a variety of records, reports and other materials;
requests or provides information as necessary to assure
completeness, accuracy and conformance to established procedures;
conducts research and analysis for assigned specialized projects
and prepares reports and recommendations accordingly. (E)
• Trains and provides work direction and guidance to student
assistants and other clerical personnel as assigned. (E)
• Operates a variety of office machines such as typewriters,
computers, printers, calculators, copiers, duplication machine,
transcription equipment and other equipment as required. (E)
• Maintains inventory and order supplies, equipment and
materials as needed; follows up with persons ordering supplies and
equipment and follows up with vendors. (E)
• Receives, screens and routes mail. (E)
• Administers standardized group of individual tests, including
adaptive tests for disabled students in accordance with college,
state, and testing agency requirements; checks in examinees,
verifies identification; prepares materials used for testing,
distributes, collects, and maintains security of testing materials.
• Assists instructors, students, faculty, students, co-workers
with various problems and questions. (E)
• Receives and verifies accuracy of requisitions, assigns
numbers, and distributes Purchase Orders via fax or mail; and
determines competitive pricing with vendors. (E)
• Attends meetings, seminars, and conferences for the purpose of
enhancing knowledge base and keeping current with matters related
to the area of assignment. (E)
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school
including or supplemented by courses in office practices, business,
or Management Information Systems (MIS) and two years of experience
closely related to the duties and responsibilities of the
• Modern office practices, procedures and
• Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and
• Receptionist and telephone techniques.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Operation of office machines including computer equipment and
• Letter and report writing techniques.
• Plan, schedule and perform a variety of
responsible and technical clerical and typing work in support of an
assigned District function.
• Provide work direction and guidance to student assistants and
other clerical personnel as assigned.
• Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
• Read, interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations,
policies and procedures.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others.
• Plan and organize work.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Type at 50 words net per minute from clear copy.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Operate a variety of office equipment such as a computer,
copier, transcription equipment and others as assigned.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY
RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides work direction to student
and hourly workers and other clerical staff as may be assigned – no
permanent full-time staff to supervise.
CONTACTS: Co-workers, other departmental staff,
security officers, Deans, faculty, students, vendors, other
colleges, and the general public
• Requires the ability to exert some physical effort, such as
walking, standing and light lifting, bending at the waist, kneeling
or crouching to retrieve and maintain files
• Dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs and body in the
operation of office equipment.
• Tasks require extended periods of time at a
Normal office environment.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions
and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC
Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment
or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311;
Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster,