Under the general supervision of the Associate Director or Director
of Financial Aid, the Senior Financial Aid Specialist assists the
financial aid staff with federal and state programs maintenance,
reconciliation and administration of FSA programs including the
Pell Grant, FSEOG, FWS, State and Institutional Scholarship
programs. This position also serves as liaison to the Business
Office, Student Accounts and Accounts Payable departments. This
position utilizes technology, focusing on aspects of reporting,
internal policies and procedures, compliance with all regulations.
This position assists in the planning, organization and
coordination of financial aid functions of the college; assists and
advises in the formulation, revision and implementation of office
procedures; acts as lead for other personnel assigned to the
Financial Aid Office and performs related work as assigned.
Supports the development of ad-hoc reports and perform duties of a
sensitive and confidential nature.
- Assists the financial aid team in meeting crucial deadlines,
solves problems, and communicates updates and resolutions with
internal and external teams.
- Sends and receives files from the Department of Education's
(ED) Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) system, CPS and
NSLDS and the Maryland State (MHEC) MDCAP system; imports and
exports files to/from the financial aid legacy system.
- Troubleshoots and responds to issues reported by internal
- Assists with new award year set-up and year-end close out
activities which involve running year-end reports and is
responsible to research financial aid regulations and develop
business solutions and as needed.
- Document policy and procedures
- Assists in software testing of new and existing functionality
due to software upgrades and critical fixes.
- Assists in accurately configuring and maintaining run controls
for financial aid manual processes and batch automated jobs for the
weekly production schedule; assists in identifying database issues
and the implementation of a resolution.
- Interacts with various members of campus including Admissions
& Recruitment, Registrar’s Office, Student Business Services,
and Information Technology Services.
- Researches and develops new strategic approaches and
- Provides project leadership and assists in writing
specifications for needed software, fixes, and modifications.
Facilitates cross-departmental communication to ensure flow of
- Collaborates with Financial Aid & Scholarships staff end
users to identify needs and develops documentation for new and
- Works closely with individuals within and outside the Financial
Aid & Scholarships Offices to coordinate and improve reporting
processes and provide timely customer service. Provide financial
aid counseling for students and parents.
- Coordinates and performs R2T4: Return of Title IV Funds Program
Performs additional related duties as assigned.
- Certify and report mid-year and end of year State and Federal
financial dollars spent using the school system and Federal FISAP
reporting process and systems, reviewing with Director of Financial
aid or Associate Director of Financial Aid for final approval and
- Assists with Federal Work Study Program
- Verifies student files selected for verification by the U.S.
Department of Education and makes electronic corrections to the
- Conducts financial aid workshops and completes all internal and
- Renders professional judgement and award criteria ( i.e.
enrollment status, residence status, G.P.A); implementing policy
and makes the necessary account adjustments to students’ awards for
regarding special appeals for academic progress and other atypical
situations regarding eligibility.
- Cross-trans in related functions to support operational
- Process students’ loan application; consortium agreements;
social security waivers and AmeriCorps waivers
- Three years of experience in a closely related field.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or related
- Experience with Microsoft office: Word, Excel, One Note and
Outlook are used on a regular basis.
- Direct experience in Financial Aid in higher education.
- Experience with Banner ERP or similar ERP