Open Until Filled
User Support and Systems Analyst
Department this Position Reports to
Thayer School of Engineering
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
Thayer School of Engineering
15 Thayer Drive
Hanover, NH 03755
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Provides technology support, systems acquisition and development,
consultation, and process improvement for faculty, staff, and
students at Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College. This
encompasses all end user AV and IT technologies, including: network
services, desktop productivity applications, engineering
applications, classroom and other learning technology, technology
acquisition and maintenance, user documentation, IT security,
research and machine shop equipment, and other technologies as they
User Support and Systems Analyst
An inspired IT support professional who wants to help
improve higher education, including teaching and research. A
seasoned veteran or an enthusiastic newcomer to the field.
A Computing Services team made by and for Dartmouth’s
creative engineering school and expanding into supporting Computer
Science too; a highly dynamic and collaborative group that doesn’t
just ask “What’s wrong with your computer?” but “How can we use (or
build!) technology to help spark your next great idea?”
What we do
Provide outstanding technology service and support: https://computing.thayer.dartmouth.edu
Help craft the future of teaching by empowering our community to
use technology in innovative and creative ways.
Thayer School has an unusual multidisciplinary approach to
engineering education and our IT philosophy reflects this. We don’t
just turn cranks behind the scenes — our entire team interacts
extensively with faculty, students, staff, and researchers to build
crank-turners and empower our community. We go out of our way to
spend time with our users, deliberately encouraging community
members (often with cookies) to ask questions, explain their needs,
and brainstorm solutions with us.
We cheerfully work hard to tackle problems quickly, develop systems
to address problems before they happen, and allow Thayer School to
make the fullest use of computing technology. We are committed and
love a challenge.
How we do it
Collaborate extensively across our entire team and with others at
Dartmouth. Integrate or build services as appropriate. Do
everything with agility, from normal operations, to major projects,
to switching to remote teaching and learning overnight. Take credit
and responsibility as a team. Celebrate our successes and learn
from our setbacks. Communicate credibly and build on that
credibility. Encourage a welcoming, fun, diverse, and stimulating
Recent team projects include:
- Develop and deploy openAV, “AV done IT style”, to hundreds of
AV endpoints. Uses a web application GUI and network-attached video
gear to produce high function AV and class recording systems for
our entire facility that are more cost effective and easier to
maintain than traditional AV systems.
- Migrate our macOS environment from traditional “imaging”
workflow to “no imaging” workflow using Jamf.
- Use Zoom and other APIs to produce and configure multiple
meetings for classes, complete with dynamic display of participants
in those meetings on web pages. Extend room functionality by
integrating Zoom Rooms into nearly every AV installation.
What we expect, and what you can expect
- Share your ideas and solicit ours — your viewpoint is valued
and questions are encouraged!
- Bring your skills, aptitude, and diversity to help users learn
our systems, surmount problems, and innovate new ways to teach with
- Have the desire and ability to quickly learn new and old
technologies. We encourage and support your curiosity.
- Participate fully within a highly collaborative, agile team
that includes User Support Analysts, Systems Administrators,
Instructional Designers, Data Integration Specialists, and Web
- Interact extensively with our diverse faculty, staff, and
students, employing strong communication skills.
- Troubleshoot a huge range of hardware and software issues.
- Develop and document systematic solutions for common
- Keep up with the latest in technology and not be afraid of the
- Share enthusiasm for higher education; yours, ours, &
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
- Thriving engineering school within a prestigious college
- First national research university to graduate more women
engineering majors than men
- Flexible and supportive management and policies
- Outstanding facilities, new buildings just opened this
- Diverse community of world-class engineers
- Northern New England as your backyard
3+ years of experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
● Strong technical skills using IT for teaching and
● Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and
● Demonstrated ability to teach and assist others learning new
● Demonstrated ability to identify, define, develop, and deploy
systems to support process and workflow improvements.
● Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, and
● Three to five years of experience in user support or
● Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a combination of
equivalent experience and education.
● Experience in user support in Higher Education and/or tools for
learning and/or engineering applications desirable.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
Zack Bennis, User Support Analyst Manager
Talent Acquisition Consultant
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment may result
in Dartmouth in its sole discretion delaying your start date or
rescinding its offer of employment.
● Under minimal supervision, resolves the wide variety of end user
technology issues, typically working directly with Thayer School
faculty, staff, and students. Collaborates as appropriate with
Thayer and Dartmouth computing personnel, vendors, and other
experts in the Thayer community.
● Supports, consults, and helps faculty, staff, and students find
ways to maximize effectiveness of technology for learning,
administration, and research.
● Maintains proper security on Thayer School’s desktop and laptop
● Remains current with new technology and proposes changes to
computing systems and policy to improve efficiency, security, and
● Manages relationships with vendors for the delivery and support
of application hardware software and support.
● Performs user account administration for students, faculty and
staff, including quotas, account creation, etc.
● Teaches community members how to use technology, one on one
and/or in group sessions.
Percentage Of Time
● Manages projects (short-term or long-term) to find or develop
suitable solutions to meet team and community needs.
● Proactively identifies opportunities for tools, systems, and
business process improvements; develops and implements appropriate
● As part of the IT Team at Thayer, plays an integral role in
planning for and responding to Thayer School’s growth, changes in
service models, and evolving technology needs.
Percentage Of Time
● Administers end user requests in identity management,
authentication, authorization, and other network services.
● Develops, manages, and maintains systems for efficient
operations, including forms for user interactions, tools and
automation for managing devices, inventory control, and lab
software image management.
● Mentors other Thayer Computing Services staff in providing
general computing support.
● Helps manage application licenses.
● Supervises student employees as needed.
Percentage Of Time
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter