Administrative Assistant for Facilities Services
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
, Whitman's vibrant and
beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually diverse,
dynamic, welcoming and supportive community of some 500 staff and
faculty serving approximately 1,500 students from the local region
and across the globe. With exceptional students, accomplished
faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and growing number of
engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to build on its national
reputation for academic excellence as one of the top liberal arts
colleges in the country.
is cultivating a
community built on inclusion and belonging. We recognize the value
of those who can offer historically underrepresented perspectives
and encourage applications from those whose background, knowledge,
and insights from lived experience can add to the college's working
and learning environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment
Opportunity employer (EEO) .
This position provides support for the Director and also essential
Facilities Services' operational support by performing office
management, fiscal management, customer relations or other
- Supports the Facilities Director by managing their work
calendar, scheduling and coordinating internal and external
(community) meetings and events for the Director, preparing and
distributing agendas and sending other communications. May make
travel arrangements and prepare and submit travel and expense
- Manages the daily operations of the Facilities Services office,
consulting with the director on all matters involving office and
- Greets and responds to internal/external customers, directs and
assists in resolving problems
- Disseminating communication and information as requested,
- Performs a broad range of general office support functions
including maintaining files and records, office equipment and
- Serves as the lead for other administrative staff within
Facilities Services, as well as supervise, train and organize the
work of student assistant and temporary personnel.
- Researches, compiles, analyzes and summarizes data for
regularly assigned or special projects.
- Handles or assists with financial transactions and control
procedures. May compile all bills for payment in coordination with
other responsible team members.
- Reconcile monthly credit card receipts and prepare for
Director's review, approval and submission to the Business
- Inputs and retrieves information from the college's financial
and information systems. May create or revise databases used by the
administrator or departments.
- Attends/participates in meetings or serves on committees and
work groups as assigned. May prepare draft procedural documents for
final committee/work group review; may also take notes or prepare
- Assists or coordinates registration and facilities
accommodations for internal conferences or events on campus as
required by area of assignment.
- Coordinates the College's Rental Fleet (over 10 vehicles)
- Updates and provides the Director with recommendations on
policy changes as appropriate and updates are needed.
- Work with Fleet software program for scheduling use of fleet
vehicles, prepares paperwork, bills departments for usage, keeps
vehicle insurance list current, maintain van-certified drivers
- Works closely with the Grounds-Automotive Department, ensuring
vehicles are clean and in safe operating conditions.
- Works closely with the EHS Department, ensuring all College
vehicle operators have completed an MVR and Driver's Safety
- Develop, regularly updates and maintain the Faculties Services'
division web page
- Positively and actively contribute to the College's core values
of diversity, equity and inclusion.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they
possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the
essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable
- Perform difficult, complex and specialized administrative work
with accuracy and speed; type or keyboard with accuracy and
efficiency from clear copy or handwritten notes; take and
transcribe minutes/memos with speed and accuracy.
- Analyze situations accurately and take appropriate action;
identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Compose correspondence and accurate reports with minimum
guidance and direction; communicate effectively in English (proper
usage, spelling, vocabulary, and grammar); follow and give oral and
- Perform mathematical calculations with accuracy; develop and
maintain statistical records.
- Work independently with supervision; interpret and apply
policies and procedures;
- Ability to interact and work well with diverse college
constituencies, including the public in a helpful courteous and
- Willingness to work as part of a team, and to take on
responsibilities which will help the team reach Facilities
- Ability to perform effectively under pressure in a fast-paced
- Able to use two-way radio to communicate with Facilities
- Confidentiality is vital.
- Makes extensive use of technological resources including all
desktop office programs, and able to learn other software programs
(e.g. CMMS, Fleet) and technologies as required.
- 5 years of comparable administrative experience.
- Demonstrated skilled use of MS office (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint,
Word) and other common administrative software.
- Associate Degree or higher and 5 or more year of
- Experience in higher education
- Experience in a facilities service's environment
- Other relevant subject matter expertise, education, training or
professional certifications in addition to the above-referenced
WORK ENVIRONMENT, JOB AND PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS
Work environment is primarily inside Whitman facilities and
sometimes outside. This position may be exposed to dirt, dust and
Job requires moderate strength and agility and typically requires
balancing, bending, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing,
walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping and repetitive
motions. Lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 25 pounds
occurs with varied frequency.
Serves as essential personnel, meaning duties are essential to the
operations of the College and may require that the position report
to campus for work even during full or partial College
May be required to work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
May be required to travel off-campus for events, meetings, and
Whitman offers competitive employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision
and life insurances
, a generous 10% matching contribution to
the Whitman College 403(b)
Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
, and paid time off
including 13 paid holidays
full-time staff vacation
more about benefits eligibility here
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community.
Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and
students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have
an approved exemption. More information can be found here
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability
accommodation in the employment application process.
Application review will begin on 7/11/22 and continue until the
position is filled.
For full application instructions and position description,