Open Until Filled
Research Assistant I - He
Department this Position Reports to
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
Class of 1978 Life Sciences Center
Hanover, NH 03755
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
To perform general laboratory duties and undertake experiments that
support the research program designed to understand the cellular
biophysics of tissue morphogenesis. This includes maintaining the
lab Drosophila lines, performing basic fly genetics and assisting
in experiments to analyze fly embryos by molecular biology and
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Bachelors plus 1-2 year(s) of experience or equivalent combination
of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in one of the Biological
Sciences or the equivalent.
Skills & Knowledge
- At least one year (Research Assistant Level I).
- Familiarity with basic laboratory techniques such as DNA and
RNA extraction, PCR, gel electrophoresis and Western blots.
- Ability to learn, develop and apply new techniques under the
guidance of the principle investigator.
- Ability to work independently and apply critical thinking and
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of basic computer software applications.
- Willingness to assist and communicate with other team members
of the laboratory.
- Willingness to work with potentially hazardous materials and
exhibit safe laboratory practices.
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
- Experience working in a laboratory is highly desirable.
- Experience with molecular cloning is desirable.
- Experience with microscopy is desirable.
- Experience with quantitative image analysis is desirable.
Bing He. Assistant Professor
Talent Acquisition Consultant
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is funded by a grant. Continuation is based upon
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment may result
in Dartmouth in its sole discretion delaying your start date or
rescinding its offer of employment.
Percentage Of Time
- Conducts experiments by applying established methods and
procedures, including basic Drosophila genetics, standard molecular
biology and biochemistry techniques, and fluorescent
- Sets up and assists with research protocols and experiments
under the general guidance of the principal investigator; documents
all new techniques developed in the laboratory.
- Observes experimental results in progress and maintains written
records of activities and observations; applies past experience and
precedents to identify and troubleshoot problems; may have primary
responsibility for independently setting up, performing and
troubleshooting less complex experiments.
- Adheres to laboratory safety requirements including general and
chemical/hazardous waste safety disposal methods.
Percentage Of Time
- Collects and analyzes data resulting from
experimentation/testing; reports experimental results to the
- Summarizes results and prepares progress reports for oral
presentation at laboratory meetings.
- Contributes to the preparation of scientific manuscripts by
drafting portions of the text, preparing graphs, tables, and
Percentage Of Time
- Accomplishes day-to-day care and housekeeping of
- Organizes and maintains lab Drosophila lines.
- Assists in the maintenance of laboratory equipment and safety
records, and in the preparation of routine reagents.
- Assists in the management of protocols and inventories
- Trains, assists, and communicates with other team members in
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter