The Office of Information Technology (OIT) encourages applications
for a Hybrid Cloud Engineer! The Hybrid Cloud Engineer helps craft
deployments and administration of the underlying hardware and
configuration of our OpenStack and Ceph platform as part of the
overall Research Computing hybrid cloud. Duties are performed as
part of the Research Computing Technology team and in support of
the Research Computing user community in cooperation with the
Research Computing User Support team.
This position carries a general expectation to respond to critical
issues and incidents that arise outside of normal business hours
within a reasonable time frame, as defined by the position's
supervisor. This expectation is consistent with commitments RC has
made with customers that many of its services will have “best
effort” coverage outside of regular business hours.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
- OIT will be valued by campus as a strategic, inclusive and
innovative partner in advancing learning and discovery in order to
enable CU Boulder to be a premier public university.
- OIT enables campus priorities by providing high-value IT
services and solutions.
- Trust, as a foundation for how we engage with one another and
with campus partners, along with
- Avid curiosity in how to better support the campus and our
- Fostering empowerment and authentic engagement among ourselves
- Celebrating inclusivity that promotes a sense of belonging
while acknowledging that each person is unique and valued.
- OIT will advance learning and discovery by delivering
high-value reliable IT services and solutions that:
- Provide a fluid and adaptable academic and student
- Enable research competitiveness and
- Deliver core infrastructure and enterprise IT services for
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and
inclusive excellence, OIT particularly welcomes applications from
candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities, and desire to
contribute to an inclusive campus environment, will help us achieve
our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Cloud and on-premises infrastructure engineering:
Evaluate Potential Technologies:
- Design, implement, and maintain on-premises cloud platforms
using existing industry frameworks, including an IaaS cluster.
- Supervise systems to ensure reliability and resiliency.
- Advise and enforce best-practices in testing, security,
configuration management, and automation.
- Investigate and respond to technical issues that arise with
infrastructure and end-user services.
Contribute to open and community source projects:
- This position will investigate new technologies that support
tactical and strategic objectives. This position will also build,
test, and evaluate new technologies to recommend on their
applicability to key organizational and program objectives.
- Changes to infrastructure, advances in technology, and changes
in regulatory expectations may identify performance constraints or
opportunities to particular system infrastructure objectives. This
position will evaluate potential products or techniques to provide
insight into new program projects and services before they are
needed that will help the organization remain relevant and to
evaluate opportunities in a timely manner.
- This position is expected to make use of open and community
source projects in support of the hybrid cloud service and will be
expected to interact positively with these projects and give back
bug reports/fixes and improvements as needed by CU Boulder.
What You Should Know
- The Hybrid Cloud Engineer will maintain professional expertise
in the field by reviewing trade publications lists, studying the
latest vendor trends, reviewing pertinent mailing lists and
attending seminars, training sessions and conferences. They will
also identify and elect relevant training opportunities that would
be most beneficial to the organization as well as communicating or
publishing experiences at conferences or user community
- This position is in a hybrid work situation, with the majority
of work being performed remotely and one day a week in person.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
What We Can Offer
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the
campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement.
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a
medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- Compensation range: $95,000 - $103,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be dynamic. Be excited. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in computer
science or related fields.
- A combination of education and experience may be substituted
for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- 5+ years of experience with an on-premises clustered
virtualization environment. For example:
- OpenStack (preferred).
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ability to craft procedures for system troubleshooting and
- Proficient in scripting and automation (Python and/or Bash
- Conversant in security standard methodologies.
- Ability to provide internal, inter-departmental, and end-user
support using a ticket queue.
- Familiarity with:
- Linux systems administration.
- Container technologies (Docker and its ecosystem
- Configuration Management Tools (Terraform and/or Ansible
- Revision control systems (Git preferred).
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS).
- Experience building hybrid cloud environments using
heterogeneous on-premises and commercial cloud systems.
- Experience with release management processes and tools,
including CI/CD workflows.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by July 13, 2022 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: