Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college
located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines
academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong
institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and
nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment
practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the
goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the
nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College
is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and
world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with
gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in
the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in
the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings -
Who We Are:
The Swarthmore College libraries build community through programs
and places, connecting people with ideas, resources, and each
other. In collaboration with our academic partners, we teach the
craft of research and foster a critical understanding of the
contexts in which knowledge is developed and disseminated.
The Digital Scholarship Librarian provides strategic leadership for
Digital Scholarship across all disciplines. Experienced with
digital pedagogy and technology, they are responsible for building
and sustaining an infrastructure for a dynamic digital scholarship
program and collaborating with faculty, students, and campus
partners. They facilitate the successful adoption and application
of digital approaches to teaching, learning, and research, develop
sustainable and scalable digital resources, and explore emerging
and existing technologies which enable the use of digital
Reporting to the Head of Research and Instruction, the DS librarian
is a valued member of the Research + Instruction department. They
provide program oversight and manage a portfolio of digital
scholarship projects in close collaboration with library
colleagues, ITS academic technologists and TriCollege partners.
They are responsible for co-managing and sustaining the LibLab
Fellows Program, a co-curricular program that provides
opportunities for students to develop critical digital literacy
while building and supporting digital scholarship projects. The
ideal candidate will bring their expertise to a team of library
professionals and academic technologists that is committed to
meeting people where they are in a concerted approach to realizing
their digital scholarship vision.
Who you are:
- Provides strategic leadership for the College’s digital
scholarship program and develops the policy, procedural and
technical infrastructure to support the program.
- Develops and maintains an identity and vision for digital
scholarship at Swarthmore through various activities including
outreach to faculty, teaching, and a dynamic web presence.
- Collaborates with appropriate ITS staff including Academic
Technologists and web developers to build a robust environment for
- Serves as the point person for faculty and students interested
in exploring the use of digital scholarship methods and tools.
Triages projects and brings most appropriate personnel to the
- Identifies relevant best practices and standards in digital
- Participates in the digital scholarship working group of the
- Co-manages the LibLab Fellowship
- Development, maintenance and preservation of digital
- Partners with faculty in identifying projects to support their
teaching and research, and evaluates feasibility of the
- Provides consultation, technical support, and project
management for the development and implementation of technology
rich scholarly projects and supports the use of digital tools and
- Consults with students on their own digital scholarship
- May provide some consultation and research assistance to
faculty and students in subject areas of interest or
What you bring:
- Project management skills and experience in overseeing
- Demonstrated knowledge of emerging trends in digital
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages and HTML /
- Experience building and maintaining cross-campus connections
- Familiarity with data visualization tools and techniques
- Actively seeks out opportunities for professional growth.
What You Will Get:
- ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree, or MA with significant
experience in digital humanities
- Experience in academic or library services including digital
You’ll work at one of the world's most renowned liberal arts
Colleges, with incredible benefits, a stunning 420-acre campus, and
a hybrid work environment. And you'll have a team of creative,
thoughtful and supportive people who enjoy working collaboratively
to build and sustain an infrastructure for a dynamic digital
scholarship program and collaborating with faculty, students, and
If you are excited about this role, we want to hear from you!
For full consideration, submit applications including resume and
cover letter with pay expectations by July 31, 2022.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from
candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with
demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply.
Jun 29 2022 Eastern Daylight Time