College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Butler University is seeking experienced individuals to fill (3)
Administrative Specialist positions. Areas seeking to hire
- Department of History, Anthropology and Classics
- Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
- Interdisciplinary Programs – Science, Technology &
Environmental Studies; International Studies; Race, Gender, &
Sexuality Studies; Peace & Conflict Studies
Work schedule is 9 months annually, mid-August through mid-May with
summer months off. The position reports to the chair of the
Provide administrative support for the faculty in the various
programs, working closely alongside each department chair/program
The administrative specialist will:
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the chair/director,
facilitating communication between students, parents, faculty,
administrators and others. The successful candidate must enjoy
working with college age students.
- Provide full clerical and general office support to the
chair/director, faculty and students. This may include, for
example, preparing correspondence, processing mail and mailings,
helping with software, assisting in routine departmental duties
such as scheduling of student advising, and answering and routing
telephone calls and visitors.
- Enter accounts payable vouchers, requisitions, and
reimbursements for faculty.
- Maintain program records and database files, including budgets,
research and internship information, majors/minors and alumni
student information; schedule meetings, equipment and room
reservations; and order office supplies.
- Assist the program directors with the development of the
year-long course schedule and be primarily responsible for entering
the course schedule in PeopleSoft.
- Assist the program directors with preparing adjunct contract
information for the Dean’s office.
- Assist with onboarding new full-time and part-time faculty
hires and coordinate with other university offices.
- Assist with the maintenance of websites and other media
- Assist with student recruitment materials and work with current
student assistants to message information to prospective
- Design flyers for events.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the chair/director.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred with two years of administrative
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to manage
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office
programs among others, and ability to learn new software
Applications must include a resume and cover letter.
Butler University is committed to enhancing the diversity of
the student body, faculty and staff. In addition, hiring
decisions are made on the basis of an individual's qualifications,
past experience, overall performance and other employment-related
criteria. Butler University provides equal opportunities for
employment and advancement for all individuals, regardless of age,
gender, race, religion, color, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected
June 29, 2022