The Accounting Specialist I performs routine accounting functions.
Prepares and posts recurring journal entries, reconciles accounts,
audits transactions, and prepares reports.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties include but are not limited to:
- Processes, codes and posts accounting transactions such as
travel reimbursements, invoices, check requests, p-card charges,
- Balances and reconciles accounting records.
- Ensures transactions are in compliance with policies,
procedures, and business processes.
- Receives and audits travel expenses for validity, accuracy and
compliance with policies and procedures.
- Receives and processes cash, checks, credit card, and
electronic fund transactions. Records transactions, audits cash
collection records, and records journal entries.
- Audits, processes, and records refund transactions.
- Records, reconciles, and collects on checks returned unpaid by
- Cancels and reissues lost and stale dated checks.
- Prepares invoices and processes billing.
- Prepares reports and statements.
- Responds to customers with questions or problems related to
accounting functions and policies.
Additional Job Description
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Four years of relevant full-time accounting support
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Experience with general accounting procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited institution in
Accounting, or closely related field.
- Accounting experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with Banner Finance module.
- Experience with Workday.
Salary: $14.37 hourly to negotiable ($30,000 annually to
- Knowledge of University Chart of Accounts.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Banner or similar enterprise
financial management software application.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize
and complete simultaneous projects.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse
group of staff, faculty, students, and vendors.
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and
independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative to plan, organize, coordinate and
perform work in various situations when numerous and diverse
demands are involved.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies and
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.