Established in 1887 as a school for the education of American Indians, The University of North Carolina at Pembroke serves a distinctly diverse student body and encourages inclusion and appreciation of the values of all people. Located in the heart of Pembroke, N.C., UNCP boasts an enrollment of 8,200 in 41 undergraduate and 18 graduate programs and offers a personalized learning environment where faculty and staff are dedicated to engaged scholarship, high academic standards, creative activity and public service. Spread over 281 acres, the campus offers a sense of community and belonging–a place where faculty and staff feel supported, take pride in the university’s mission, and are devoted to excellence in teaching, learning and research, and to developing leaders who make a difference in their communities.
The Assistant Director of Gift Administration is an essential part of the Advancement team. The role is to ensure the successful creation and implementation of a strategic gift administration program for the University of North Carolina at Pembroke (UNCP).
• Acts as a point person in response to donor inquiries regarding established scholarship and program funds.
• Provides a high level of professionalism, responsiveness and customer service to donors and related parties.
• Coordinates donor interactions and experiences in collaboration with development officers and university leadership.
• Solicits donors for continued support of endowed and current-use scholarships in collaboration with development officers and annual fund solicitation efforts.
• Plans and implements donor engagement events.
• Liaises with the Office of Financial Aid Scholarship Coordinator to ensure that the scholarship management system (Blackbaud Award Management) is accurate and that scholarships are awarded in a timely manner.
• Coordinates the collection and dissemination of scholarship recipient thank-you letters to donors.
• Plans and implements an annual Scholarship Recognition Dinner for donors and students.
• Ensures that scholarship funds are established in a timely manner and that contributions are transferred to the appropriate accounts.
• Coordinates university efforts to administer, award, and report on philanthropic funds – both endowed and current-use – including scholarships, distinguished professorships, naming gifts, and program support.
• Develops and manages processes to ensure that gift accounts are adequately funded and appropriately awarded, including the pledge reminder process.
• Identifies and resolves any issues that may prevent students, academic units, or programs from receiving donor funds in a timely manner.
• Develops templates and implements policies on gifts. Provide consultation on gift agreements to ensure compliance with the policies of the university, UNCP Foundation, and federal and state laws governing financial aid.
• Tracks and monitors philanthropically-funded accounts to ensure that fund managers are administering gifts in accordance with donor intent.
• Provides updates and analyses of donor-funded accounts to relevant parties across campus, upon request or as scheduled.
• Produces accurate annual endowment reports and manages distribution to donors.
Donor Acknowledgement & Recognition
• Coordinates recognition of gifts received by the university, including naming opportunities, physical recognition, public events, and recognition societies.
• Liaises with development officers, Advancement leadership, the Chancellor’s Office, and other relevant parties to acknowledge gifts and facilitate signatures on acknowledgment communications to donors.
Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Training and Experience Requirements:
Master’s degree preferred or Bachelor’s degree required and three to five years of experience in accounting, finance, development, financial aid, donor stewardship, advancement services or related field
Experience in a non-profit or higher education environment (or a comparably complex organization)
Knowledge & Skills
Data Management & Analysis
• Ability to understand and interpret financial data for donor and endowment reports
• Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and interactions with internal and external constituents
• Experience managing sensitive information with the highest level of confidentiality
• A working knowledge of databases (preferably CRM and financial management systems) and Microsoft Office, especially Excel
• Ability to manage multi-phase projects from inception to completion, including the ability to build consensus among team members and balance concurrent priorities
• Adept at problem solving and using judgment in situations requiring independent initiative and tact
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Proactive service orientation toward internal and external constituents
The right candidate will be: detail-oriented, well-organized, focused, self-motivated, collaborative.
Special Instructions to Applicants: This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable) and credit history check (if applicable). In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. New employees are paid only by direct deposit to the financial institution of their choice. Candidates claiming Veterans Preference must attach a copy of their DD-214 as a part of the online application process.
UNC Pembroke is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The University prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibits discrimination against all individuals based on their age, race, color, genetic information, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression and national origin. UNC Pembroke is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.