Senior Instructional Specialist- Language Center
$26.79 - $35.84 Hourly
7/15/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Educational Support Services
Under the direction of the Language and Communications Dean,
provide instructional support in reading, writing and computer labs
within the language arts department; participate in the planning
and development of reading, writing and computer labs; assist
instructors in developing tutorial computer programs.
This position is in the Visalia campus, 10-month position.
The working hours for this position will be:
Monday - Thursday 1:00 p.m. - 4:00
College of the Sequoias Community College District serves a
diverse community of learners and is a designated Hispanic Serving
Institution. COS provides a wide range of opportunities in
transfer, general education, career and technical programs for our
students. We are dedicated to recruiting employees who are
committed to helping a diverse population of students achieve their
educational goals. We seek candidates who exhibit an understanding
and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a
passion for student success.
Job duties of the Senior Instructional Specialist - Language Center
Duties of the position include:
Assist students in improving basic reading comprehension,
writing, vocabulary, dictionary, grammar and other skills; develop
a critical and realistic time table to work through concepts and
materials with each student.
Provide appropriate and effective feedback to students during
class sessions to support student's mastery of writing skills.
Provide accurate explanations of specific topics covered in
Assist students with computer skills; explain and demonstrate
computer use and reinforce instructor's lessons.
Administer assessments to measure student progress; prepare
assessment materials as necessary and discuss student progress with
Organize and maintain student progress records; distribute
progress records to instructors on a regular basis.
Prepare instructional materials in accordance with grade level
and student interest; select articles and reading to be used in the
lab; prepare handouts, activity sheets and assessments.
Participate in the planning and development of reading, writing
and computer labs; schedule use of reading, writing, ESL and
Work with students on an individual basis during scheduled lab
Prepare and maintain assessment records and student absences;
submit to instructors according to established time lines.
Perform clerical duties, including inventory, tutor, time
sheets, supply records and others.
Utilize the District's integrated software in performing the
required duties of the position.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education
Any combination equivalent to: college-level course work and two
years experience in adult level skills development programs
including some experience working with computers in an
- Instructional laboratory environment.
- Constant interruptions
Knowledge and Abilities
- Ability to move from site to site.
- Ability to communicate with students/employees/public.
- Ability to read documents.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time.
- Ability to reach in all directions.
- Ability to operate a computer and office equipment.
The hiring committee is seeking evidence of the following:
- English language arts and basic tutorial techniques for
Community College students.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Operation, preparation and maintenance of an instructional
- Computer usage and software applications.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Curriculum, goals and objectives of the
- Methods and procedures of operating electronic computers
and peripheral equipment.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and
- Strategies to assist student learning in reading and
- Provide instructional assistance to college students in an
assigned reading, writing and computer lab.
- Operate and demonstrate the use of computer
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course
- Monitor and evaluate student progress.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work independently with little direction.
- Operate computers and peripheral equipment properly and
- Plan and organize work.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Assign and review the work of others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in
To be considered applicants must submit all
following required material:
- An online COS application
- Letter of interest, which addresses how the applicant's
experience and/or education enables him/her to be able to perform
the job duties.
- Unofficial copies of transcripts of all college/university
work. Official transcripts required upon employment.
Recruitment Analyst: Norma Chavez email@example.com
of the Sequoias does not sponsor H-1B Visas
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cos/jobs/3614813/senior-instructional-specialist-language-center
COLLEGE OF THE SEQUOIAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL
OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: The College of the Sequoias Community College
District is committed to the principles of equal employment
opportunity. It is the District's policy to ensure that all
qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and
equal access to employment opportunity and are not subject to
discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the
basis of ethnic group identification, race, gender, color,
language, accent, citizenship status, ancestry national origin,
age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, parental
status, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental
disability or medical condition, or on the basis of these perceived