Bard College, a liberal arts college on the Hudson River, is a
private institution working in the public interest.
Employer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/109008
Bard College seeks a Managing Editor for the literary journal,
Conjunctions. The managing editorship is a full-time, exempt
position for a period of three years. The role is office-based on
the campus of Bard College, 90 miles north of New York City in
Published by Bard College and edited by novelist and Bard professor
of Literature Bradford Morrow, Conjunctions has been a living
notebook for provocative, innovative, immaculately crafted fiction,
poetry, narrative nonfiction, and other literary and visual forms
since 1981. The journal appears in two separate editions: a
book-length biannual print/e-book collection and an online magazine
that features the work of a single author each week.
The managing editor oversees many business operations, while Morrow
runs the editorial office in New York City and is closely involved
with the business side. Although the position is administrative in
nature, candidates must be active, passionate, knowledgeable
readers of contemporary literature in all forms. The managing
editor is provided with an office in Shafer House on the Bard
campus which is shared with professor Morrow when he is on
The successful candidate will excel at working in a community that
is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic
status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation and religion.
Areas of Support
The managing editor reports directly to the editor, and provides
any/all direct, personal support to the editor as needed, including
correspondence management, travel arrangements, etc.
Areas of Responsibility
While all final decisions lie with the editor, and most or all
tasks and projects will be executed in coordination with the
editor, the managing editor will exercise a degree of
self-motivated responsibility in key areas including:
Required Skill Sets (Nonnegotiable)
- Phone and email communication with contributors, agents,
advertisers, subscribers, distributors, and the general
- Subscriptions and orders documentation and fulfillment, and
distribution via third-party vendors.
- Marketing and development outreach via email, print, web, and
- Representing Conjunctions at various festivals, conferences,
and panels, and selling at book fairs.
- Managing two readings series (approximately four
- Grants and individual giving campaigns, with assistance from
Bard’s Office of Development.
- Budget oversight, including processing all revenue and
payments, and maintaining accurate records of all accounts.
- Web maintenance, including recording and uploading multimedia
(primarily audio) content.
- Overseeing print production of each biannual issue, including
working with the editor, typesetter, cover designer, printers,
advertisers, and contributors and cover artists (or their
- Supervising volunteer undergraduate editorial assistants,
including providing requisite training, evaluating aptitudes, and
assigning and checking work.
- Creating and managing all contracts and agreements with
contributors, agents, cover artists, galleries, readers,
distributors, and retailers.
- Fielding email submissions and reading submissions as
Strongly Preferred Skill Sets and Experience
- Complete fluency with Mac, Office (Word, Excel), Chicago style,
email marketing (Constant Contact or similar), social media
(Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, others)
- Comfort/proficiency with PC, Content Management System
websites, html/css, Adobe (Reader, Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign,
- Experience with audio editing software (basic freeware such as
WavePad acceptable), database software (i.e., FileMaker Pro), and
- Experience with graphic design (i.e. Adobe Illustrator or
- Track record of success in converting online readers and social
followers to subscribers and donors.
- Extensive experience in online marketing or in institutional or
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time and work in
standard office environment
- Must be able to occasionally lift 20 pounds
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and the names of three
professional references through Interfolio.com at: http://apply.interfolio.com/109008
YOUR COVER LETTER WILL, AMONG OTHER THINGS, GIVE A SENSE OF YOUR
INVESTMENT IN CONTEMPORARY INNOVATIVE LITERATURE. SEMIFINALISTS MAY
BE ASKED TO CONTRIBUTE WORK SAMPLES AND TO DEMONSTRATE THEIR
WRITING, EDITORIAL, CODING, AND/OR DESIGN PROFICIENCY
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome
applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical
disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and
reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment
practices, services, programs, and activities.