GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY
College of Law
Director of Academic Advisement and Bar Success
Georgia State University College of Law is seeking to hire a full-time Director of Academic Advisement and Bar Success. This is a full-time staff position, reporting to the Associate Dean for Student Success Programs & Strategic Enrollment Management. The Director of Academic Advisement and Bar Success will design and implement the College of Law’s academic and bar support initiatives in order to provide a comprehensive and meaningful academic experience for law students.
General Job Functions/Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Creates content for and teaches workshops designed to assist law students with transition to law school and to promote successful completion of their legal studies.
- Provides consultation, guidance, and advisement to students within the College of Law regarding academic plans and strategies. Meets with and counsels students on their academic skills development; develop and oversee the execution of individualized learning plans; and provide one‐on‐one assistance for at‐risk students.; maintains appropriate records regarding student consultations. Connects students to resources and services across the institution in support of individual student success.
- Provides input to leadership regarding the development of advisement and curricular support programs offered by the College of Law; researches information, compiles statistics and gathers and computes various data, as needed.
- Monitors student progress towards degree attainment and conducts degree checks to ensure compliance with degree program requirements.
- Teaches or co‐teaches skills courses, assists with supplemental bar preparation programs, and assist with program reporting and assessment. Presents on standard advisement topics at large and small workshops and orientations.
- Implements services for 2Ls and 3Ls to enhance performance in law school and on the bar exam; evaluates and develops, as necessary, programs for 1Ls. Coordinates programs on bar fitness and the bar exam and oversees on‐campus activities of bar vendors.
- Collects and analyzes academic support and bar preparation data; assists with the collection, analysis, and interpretation of student data, performance, and outcome measures and assessments consistent with ABA standards.
- Works collaboratively with the Academic Success Program Committee; and stays current on bar preparation and academic support pedagogy, trends, and developments
This position may require work beyond regularly scheduled hours to accommodate evening students and special programming events. Review of applicants will begin immediately.
Part of one of the Southeast’s largest comprehensive research universities, Georgia State Law is a dynamic urban-centered law school located in the heart of Atlanta with approximately 650 full and part-time students. The College of Law was created in 1982 based on its founders’ belief that a first-rate law school not only can, but also must be tailored to meet the needs of the students who enter its doors. Although Georgia State Law has grown substantially in scope and reputation during the last 40 years, this flexible, entrepreneurial, and student-centric spirit continues to resonate throughout our institution. The College of Law brings together a dynamic group of faculty and staff who promote scholarship and service that enriches the legal profession and communities we serve. Our community fosters a culture based on ambition, hard work, dedication, and perseverance.
Disclaimer: This job requisition provides a high-level job definition. It is not intended to provide a comprehensive or exclusive list of job duties. As such, job duties and/or responsibilities within the context of this job requisition may change at the discretion the employee’s direct supervisor.
Qualifications: Master's degree and five years of experience; or a combination of education and related experience. College/Business Unit : College of Law
Department: Law - Dean's Office
Location : Atlanta Campus
Shift: 8:30 am - 5:15 pm
Salary : Commensurate with experience
Pay Grade: 4-1
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Type: Full Time (Benefits Eligible)
Job Posting : 06/21/22, 10:06:38 AM
Closing Date: 07/15/22, 11:59:00 PM Preferred Hiring Qualifications:
Successful candidates will have a J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school. Three or more years of post-law school experience or higher education academic success experience; strong writing, research, and analytic skills. Strong communication and public speaking skills. Ability to build rapport with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. Commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive community. Ability to identify methods to enhance learning for multiple learning styles. Demonstrated ability to exercise sound, ethical, and professional judgment. Proficient in compiling and analyzing data for statistical analysis.
In addition to a completed application, candidates should provide a résumé, cover letter, and list of professional references.
Please note, Georgia State University’s career board updates daily and requisitions are subject to be removed without prior notice or before the posting expires.
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.