About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering at Binghamton University, State University of New York (SUNY) invites applications for an instructor with an expected start date of August 1st, 2022. We are seeking a candidate with demonstrated experience in teaching biomedical engineering related courses, particularly laboratory courses at both undergraduate and graduate levels as well as senior Capstone design courses. The Department of Biomedical Engineering and Watson College is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive teaching, research, and working environment. Potential applicants who share this goal, especially underrepresented minorities, women and persons with disabilities, are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit our website at: http://www.binghamton.edu/biomedical-engineering/.
This position will support the Biomedical Engineering Department through the following duties:
- Supervise and manage both undergraduate and graduate biomedical engineering laboratory courses including biomedical engineering lab, bioinstrumentation lab, and life science and medical labs. Check and set up associated laboratory instrumentation. Identify and schedule preventative/corrective maintenance of instrumentation.
- Assist with, supervise, and manage senior Capstone design lecture courses and design teams.
- Teach biomedical engineering courses
- Assist with Department's Research Programs
- Engage in the administration such as research lab space management, supervision, training, and guidance of graduate teaching assistants and such other personnel as may be required in the Department's undergraduate instructional programs.
- Prepare and supervise the preparation, storage of materials, cells lines, and standards for laboratory exercises. Budget for, order, receive, and maintain an inventory of supplies and equipment for the upper level instructional laboratories.
- Work collaboratively with faculty course instructors for continuing operation and improvement of the teaching program. Revise laboratory exercises, and develop and pre-test new laboratory exercises.
- Design and implement effective teaching/learning processes. Write teaching training materials.
- Participate in and contribute to education workshops and conferences. Seek to publish laboratory exercises and other teaching developments in education journals.
- Participate in necessary institutional functions such as, but not limited to, departmental and university committees, facilitation of advisory committees and student/faculty/staff recruitment.
Minimum Educational Requirements: Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering or a related field.
Experience with the following aspects of teaching will be advantageous:
- Engaging undergraduates in modern teaching technologies and participating in workshops and conferences on biomedical engineering related education.
- Working collaboratively with faculty for continuing improvement of teaching programs for ABET accreditation, and participation on departmental committees.
- Demonstrated experience working with faculty, students and staff from diverse backgrounds and supervising graduate or undergraduate students.
- Experience with the operation, maintenance and training in biomedical engineering equipment and techniques including but not limited to fluorescent microscopy, uniaxial tensometers, cell culturing and incubation, biosafety cabinets, fume hoods, cryostorage, autoclaves, microfluidics fabrication and plate readers.
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by title IX and its implementing regulations, Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus effective August 1, 2017.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- A cover letter and a statement of teaching interest.
- Three letters of recommendation
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp