Senior Human Resources Generalist
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
, Whitman's vibrant and
beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually diverse,
dynamic, welcoming and supportive community of some 500 staff and
faculty serving approximately 1,500 students from the local region
and across the globe. With exceptional students, accomplished
faculty and staff, and a fiercely loyal and growing number of
engaged alumni, Whitman College continues to build on its national
reputation for academic excellence as one of the top liberal arts
colleges in the country.
is cultivating a
community built on inclusion and belonging. We recognize the value
of those who can offer historically underrepresented perspectives
and encourage applications from those whose background, knowledge,
and insights from lived experience can add to the college's working
and learning environment. Whitman College is an Equal Employment
Opportunity employer (EEO) .
This position is a key member of our human resources team providing
broad senior-level human resources responsibilities in support of
services, programs and functions of Whitman College. The position's
special emphasis will be on talent acquisition, and coordinating
human resource initiatives that promote diversity, equity,
inclusion and anti-racism (DEIA).
- Lead the HR process for staff talent acquisition, which
includes hands-on administrative processes, advising and directing
hiring managers/committees/DEIA advocates, evaluating the process
and outcomes, and making recommendations for improvements,
including building a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Develop, coordinate, evaluate and track departmental DEIA
initiatives and outcomes. Serve as a subject matter specialist for
HR on DEIA interests, and assist other human resources team members
in integrating DEIA perspective in their work within the department
and with other parts of campus.
- Serve as a member of the investigator team designated for
employee relations, Title IX, and grievance processes.
- Support execution of Human Resources functional areas and
maintain compliance with all local, state, and federal
- Contribute to development and/or delivery of a variety of
training programs for varying levels of individuals within the
College as needed.
- Advise and serve as a liaison and information resource for
supervisors, staff and faculty on human resource and employee
relations issues, and determine final resolution of problems and
- Build strong relationships across groups and individuals to
foster a positive working environment, a diverse and inclusive
community, communication and transparency.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be able to explain and/or demonstrate possession of the
knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential
functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to advance the college's core values of diversity,
equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with employees
at all levels of the College
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, exercise independent
judgment, problem solve, resolve conflict, and be diplomatic.
- Ability to have difficult and sensitive discussions and conduct
complex analysis in the course of conducting investigations.
- Proficient in use of technology, including word processing,
spreadsheets, presentations software, database, email, and use of
the internet to access data, maintain records, train others in use
of apps, generate reports and communicate with others.
- Ability to work with sensitive, confidential and detailed
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across
groups and individuals to foster a diverse and inclusive working
environment, communication and transparency.
- 3 or more years of HR generalist experience.
- Degree in Human Resource Management, Labor Relations,
Organizational Development, or related field. May substitute
professional certification or commensurate years of
- Graduate degree in Human Resources Management, Labor Relations,
or a related field that provides solid knowledge of fundamental
theories, principles and concepts
- Experience working with Colleague and/or BambooHR
- Certificate or degree in diversity, equity and inclusion, or
other related field of study
- Demonstrated experience building a culture of diversity,
equity, inclusion and anti-racism.
- Ability to work in an open office environment, with 20 - 40%
weekly hybrid work.
Whitman offers competitive employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision
and life insurances
, a generous 10% matching contribution to
the Whitman College 403(b)
Defined Contribution Retirement Plan
, and paid time off
including 13 paid holidays
full-time staff vacation
more about benefits eligibility here
At Whitman College, we take seriously the safety of our community.
Whitman is a fully vaccinated campus, requiring all employees and
students to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations or have
an approved exemption. More information can be found here
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATION FOR JOB CANDIDATES
Contact Human Resources regarding requests for disability
accommodation in the employment application process.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through May 20,
July 1, 2022
For full application instructions and position description,