Office Assistant, Bookstore
Internal Position Title:
Under the administrative supervision of the Bookstore Manager, the
Office Assistant provides customer service both in person and on
the phone, organizes and maintains all cashier paperwork, prepares
retail schedule, operates a cash register and stocks general
merchandise. Bookstore cashier also assists in training and leading
the shift of Student workers/temporary staff, conducts buy back
transactions, and provides coverage of both off-site bookstores
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community
college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an
innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths
for our students by offering exceptional learning
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and
community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty,
staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake
County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers
in the State of Illinois for 2019.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to lead cashiers in job duties
- Cash handling and retail experience
- Friendly and outgoing with customer service experience.
- Ability to move up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to work at our Waukegan or Vernon Hills location
- Ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of
diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate
sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college
students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities;
establish and maintain effective working relationships with those
contacted in the course of work.
- Flexibility a plus
- Experience with an inventory control system
- Bilingual English and Spanish
Expected Start Date:
Special Instructions Summary:
This position must be fluid to
changes that may be encountered, including flexibility with work
hours. Please note that this position must be able to provide
coverage for the bookstores on the Lakeshore and Southlake campuses
when needed. The individual that is hired will need reliable
transportation to be able to travel to other campuses.
Total Hours Per Week:
Hours are flexed to cover store needs between 7:45am-7:30pmmornings
at least 2 days a week.
Software Testing Required:
Interview Process Requirements:
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has
a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad
spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with
Summary of Essential Functions:
Student/Customer Service 60%
- Assists in training and directing temporary staff and student
workers on the duties listed below
- Operates a cash register ringing up cash, check, credit card,
and financial aid for customers including sales, returns and
exchanges all while keeping cashier area neat and stocked.
- Verifies cash drawer at beginning/end of shift and helps with
opening/closing procedures as needed.
- Provides excellent customer service by answering questions for
students, faculty, and staff both in person and over the phone.
Updating the outgoing message and returning Voicemails.
- Provides coverage of both off site campus bookstores as needed
and may be asked to do so outside of normally scheduled hours.
- Able to expand hours during key bookstore operations.
- Coverage one Saturday at the beginning of the semester
Data Entry/Records Coordination 20%
- Helps prepare the weekly schedule of student workers and helps
with schedule during rush.
- Enters data required for financial aid.
- Sorts and organizes all paperwork pertaining to the cashier
area, credit card and refund slips, department charges, financial
aid forms and vouchers, etc.
To apply, visit https://jobs.clcillinois.edu/postings/20716
- Merchandises product and maintains shelf inventory. Prices,
stocks, merchandises and stores merchandise ensuring proper
- Monitors inventory of merchandise and helps to determine
re-stocking orders for selected merchandise categories.
- Performs other duties as assigned.