University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Vice President for Finance and Administration
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES), the state's
historically black, 1890 land-grant institution, invites inquiries,
nominations, and applications for Vice President for Finance and
Administration (VPFA). Reporting directly to President Heidi M.
Anderson, the VPFA is the chief financial officer for the
University. The ideal candidate will be an innovative leader who
will share a commitment to supporting a diverse and inclusive
environment that provides high-quality academic and co-curricular
• CPA and/or MBA, or master's degree or higher in a related
• At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in
senior management positions with significant business and fiscal
responsibilities in higher education.
• Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, strategic,
capital, master, and budget planning; generally accepted accounting
principles; capital construction contracts and related activities;
modern human resource practices, philosophies, and principles;
financial systems and processes; real estate acquisition and
management; collective bargaining contracts, negotiations, and
strategies; compliance with tax, environmental and related
state/federal laws and regulations; business processes,
reengineering and continuous improvement strategies; risk
management; and health and safety matters.
• Familiarity with the above functions as they relate to higher
• Evidence of working successfully with state, federal, and
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrated ability to develop and promote excellence in
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• A record of success leading organizational change and
implementing quality management approaches.
• Ability to work effectively and transparently in a highly
collaborative, diverse academic community as well as with groups
external to the University.
• Ability to think and act creatively and strategically in support
of the University's mission.
• Knowledge of the changing role of the university and information
• Ability to manage multiple initiatives to successful completion
and proactively recognize opportunities and challenges.
• Ability to think globally and systemically, balanced by the
ability to act.
• Demonstrate fiscal, ethical, and strategic leadership skills with
a proven record of helping to build a sustainable financial
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to demonstrate
strength in relating to a wide range of constituencies.
For complete details on this opportunity please review the position
profile on the open search page
This search is assisted by Academic Search, Inc., and a university
search committee. Applications should consist of:
1. A detailed cover letter addressing the expectations of the
2. A current curriculum vitae (CV); and
3. A list of five professional references with contact information
and a note explaining the working relationship of each to the
References will not be contacted without the explicit permission of
the candidate. All documents should be in PDF format.
Nominations and applications should be sent electronically to
The position is open until filled, but only applications
received by July 29, 2022, can be assured full consideration
Nominators and prospective candidates may arrange a confidential
discussion about this opportunity with Nancy Suttenfield, Senior
Consultant, at firstname.lastname@example.org
or Rich Cummins, Ph.D., Senior Consultant, at email@example.com
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore actively subscribes to
a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action and
will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of
race, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, gender,
or gender expression religion, national origin or political