Director of Payroll
Payroll at the University is comprised of compensation paid to
nearly 2,000 faculty, staff, administrators and student workers and
approximates nearly 70% of the University's total operating budget.
The Director of Payroll is primarily responsible for planning,
directing and supervising all activities related to payroll and
ensuring that payrolls are processed timely, accurately and in
compliance with applicable government regulations and contractual
obligations. The University currently utilizes the services of ADP
as its payroll servicer and there are currently five unions at the
University; each of which has an underlying collective bargaining
agreement which defines compensation for its members. The Director
of Payroll should also provide insight on opportunities to enhance
service and efficiency with regard to organizational structure,
business processes and use of technology. Although the Director is
a member on the Finance unit, the successful candidate must work
collaboratively with the human resources team as well as each of
the operating units at the University.
AVP of Finance and Controller
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
REQUIREMENTS: (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Plan, direct and supervise all tasks necessary to prepare each
- Review and approve all payrolls prepared prior to allowing for
- Review current payroll processes and procedures and provide
recommendations based upon industry best practices to enhance
efficiency and the quality of service provided to the
- Coordinate the application of changes to payroll processes,
including changes for new hires, terminations, retirements, and
other changes to compensation.
- Maintain current knowledge of legislative development/updates
that affect payroll procedures.
- Ensure compliance, accuracy and timeliness of all payroll
- Create various management and payroll reconciliation reports to
assist in the analysis of compensation at the University.
- Oversee certain General Ledger account reconciliations.
- Manage garnishments process.
- Coordinate accurate and timely reporting and issuance of
required tax forms such as W-2 and 1042 forms.
- Process payroll tax amendments.
- Review and approve quarterly withholding tax returns.
- Review and approve 941 quarterly Federal Tax returns
- Coordinate with finance team to ensure all payroll items for
year-end closing are completed accurately and timely.
- Manage non-resident alien tax software.
- Coordinate the collection of tax information from non-resident
- Participate in audit process for payroll related activity
(internal, external, 403b, workers compensation).
- Work collaboratively with human resources and other units to
improve current business processes, policies and forms.
- Represent payroll on various operational and technical projects
(e.g., project to automate time and leave for employees).
- Assist in the development of interfaces between Payroll, Human
Resources and Registrar.
- Coordinate system implementation and upgrades with the IT
department and with Automatic Data Processing Company.
- Serve as liaison between ADP and the University to ensure the
appropriate service levels are maintained.
- Participate in the development of the University's Financial
- Serve as the lead to resolve service related questions and
issues with the community on payroll matters.
- Develop payroll team members and build expertise and service
level of the team.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of best practices of payroll operations and business
- Knowledge of higher education or not-for-profit industry
- Experience managing payroll in a multiple union
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to details.
- Ability to prioritize workload according to urgency, volume,
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment with great analytical
- Ability to work independently and together as a team.
- Ability to stay abreast of accounting and regulatory
- Strong computer skills for using Windows, Microsoft Excel, Word
- Bachelor's degree in business is required.
- Minimum of seven years of Payroll experience is required.
- Extensive experience in Payroll - ADP is preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience is necessary.
- CPP designation is preferred.
- Project Management experience is preferred.
- Sr. Payroll Administrator (2).
- Payroll Accountant.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally
ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated
to transforming students' lives through small classes with
world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to
support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional
liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with
particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and
Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health
and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World
Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational
university, serving more than 7,500 students at its beautiful main
campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson
Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers
students 75 undergraduate programs, more than 70 master's degree
and doctoral programs, and 55 certificate programs in the liberal
arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful
partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 118,000
graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from
44 states and 65 countries, and rising rankings from top
publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that
plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=39&rid=2754