Open Until Filled
Building Maintenance Worker
Department this Position Reports to
Facilities Operations & Management
Hiring Range Minimum
$29.31/hr (Entry Level Rate)
Hiring Range Maximum
$30.31/hr (Job Rate)
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Location of Position
15 Thayer Drive, Hanover, NH
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Under minimal supervision from the Thayer Director of Facilities
and Building Manager, the Building Maintenance Worker is assigned
responsibility for the operation, repair, and maintenance of the
plumbing fixtures, electrical devices, HVAC and control systems,
and major appliances of Thayer School of Engineering buildings.
Works with the Building Manager to plan and prioritize all related
work for his/her assigned buildings, which includes evaluating the
need for emergency repairs and requesting assistance from Equipment
Maintenance employees or from other FO&M departments as
necessary. Performs some related, minor carpentry and other trade
work. Communicates and coordinates repair schedules to College
staff and students who work in the buildings.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
Directly related Vocational Training
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- Seven years of relevant experience in complex building
maintenance; or the equivalent.
- Some post-secondary technical school training in the electrical
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and be qualified under the
terms of the
Dartmouth College Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Policy .
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
- Thorough knowledge and technical skill required for making
repairs and maintaining domestic and industrial plumbing, HVAC,
electrical and control systems, fixtures, devices, and
- Technical knowledge and skill to perform minor carpentry work
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions, to plan and
organize work, and to work independently under minimal
- Ability to successfully interact on a daily basis with members
of the broader College community and to communicate effectively in
a service-oriented environment.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse
- Willingness to work overtime when required.
- Must have successfully completed the following training prior
to performing work to which the training relates:
- Driver Safety
- Hazard Communication
- Respirator Training, Fit, and Physical Examination.
David McDevitt, Building Manager
Talent Acquisition Consultant
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
UNION POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO SEIU UNION MEMBERS ONLY DURING THE
FIRST WEEK OF POSTING . AFTER ONE WEEK OF POSTING, IF THE POSITION
HAS NOT BEEN FILLED INTERNALLY, IT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE DARTMOUTH COMMUNITY .
OPEN TO UNION MEMBERS ONLY FROM (6/27/22) THROUGH (6/3/22).
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment may result
in Dartmouth in its sole discretion delaying your start date or
rescinding its offer of employment.
Typical Examples of Work to be Performed
Percentage Of Time
- Performs minor repairs and/or replacement of HVAC systems,
plumbing fixtures, valves, and other plumbing assemblies as
required. Informs staff/students who may be inconvenienced or
- Performs minor repair and/or replacement of electrical
fixtures, devices, and appliances as required, e.g., fans,
emergency and exit lights, etc. Informs staff/students who may be
inconvenienced or affected.
- Performs minor carpentry work as required to repair windows,
doors, hardware, screens, and furniture. Informs staff/students who
may be inconvenienced or affected.
- Performs preventive maintenance functions for all equipment in
- Observes and reports in a timely manner, through the work order
system, any defects, deterioration, and wear and tear on assigned
facilities; orally communicates emergencies that involve major
repairs to appropriate College personnel.
- Inspects facilities on a routine basis to ensure that
deficiencies are corrected.
- Works with Thayer Building Manager and building occupants to
maintain systems unique to the assigned building and to provide
assistance setting up equipment and systems as needed.
Percentage Of Time
- Works from ladders, scaffolds, and platforms.
- Work requires bending, kneeling, standing, climbing and working
in stretched, cramped or awkward positions.
- Work involves regular lifting, carrying, or holding objects
weighing from 10 to 70 pounds.
- Work is performed in areas that are dirty or smoky and when
fumes are present.
- Work involves exposure to cuts and bruises and more serious
injuries, such as burns and electrical shock, while cutting glass,
working on electrical fixtures and appliances, or working on
ladders, scaffolds, etc.
- Work involves wearing special or protective clothing such as
aprons or overalls, gloves, goggles, N95 mask, PAPR or other form
of respirator, and ear plugs.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter