The College of Arts and Sciences encourages applications for a
part-time Writer and Editor! The purpose of the Writer and Editor
position is to research, write, edit and otherwise produce and
distribute effective content that increases the visibility,
improves the reputation, and advances the strategic priorities of
the College of Arts and Sciences. Key strategic priorities include
student success and diversity, equity and inclusion.
At the direction of the Senior Communications Specialist and in
collaboration with the Assistant Dean for Communications, this
position will be responsible for producing news stories, feature
stories, web postings, email text and other material.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado
Boulder is the intellectual core of the university, conducting
research, scholarship, creative work and education in more than 60
fields! Our research generates new knowledge, solving some of the
world’s most critical problems.
The college leads nationally in undergraduate and graduate
education in the natural sciences, social sciences and arts and
humanities, bringing world-class research and scholarship to our
students, both in and out of the classroom.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Writing and Editing
- Report, write and edit content for the communications office in
the College of Sciences. Specific duties include (but are not
- Reporting and writing stories about faculty, staff, students,
alumni and donors, with a particular emphasis on good
- Writing content for other communications produced by the
college for a range of purposes, including broadcast emails to
students, staff and faculty. These emails may serve many different
purposes, including student recruitment, student retention, policy
announcements, faculty-and-staff outreach and engagement, official
communiques from college leadership and other purposes.
- Editing stories and other content to ensure that it conforms
with Associated Press Style, university external-relations style,
current norms of grammar and usage. Additionally, editing duties
will be directed toward making all copy as clear, concise and
accurate as possible, paying particular attention to minimizing the
use of the passive voice, jargon and needless wordiness.
- Serving as a key content contributor for the college’s three
websites—main website, faculty-staff website and magazine
What You Should Know
- Serve as a key member of the communications team in the College
of Arts and Sciences, which means assisting as needed with the
team’s priorities. This implies:
- Producing multimedia elements, including photography, video and
What We Can Offer
- This is a 50% time position working 20 hours per week, the
exact days and times of which will be determined in consultation
with the successful candidate.
- The work is expected to be hybrid, with some in person and some
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
requirement . New employees must provide proof of vaccination
or receive a medical or religious exemption within 30 days of
The annual salary range for this 50% position is $26,500-
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be creative. Be dynamic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university and at
least 1+ years of professional, job related experience in
journalism, content writing, communications or related field.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience may
What We Would Like You To Have
- Interpersonal and cultural competency skills to engage with a
diverse set of partners ranging from students to faculty to
- Excellent writing skills, meaning the ability to produce clear,
concise, persuasive and original copy. Excellent proofreading and
- Mastery of The Elements of Style and the effective use of
literary devices in text.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly an ability to
treat colleagues with respect.
- Ability to follow all university policies, procedures and
guidelines, including but not limited to safety, civility,
information security and nondiscrimination policies and
- Ability to create multimedia elements for stories.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Suite, Google
Drive Applications, and Google Tools.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Excellence in establishing work priorities, providing
follow-through, and meeting established due dates.
- Ability to maintain effective lines of communication including
the ability to resolve issues.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality with
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English.
- 3+ years experience in journalism, content writing,
communications or related field.
- Mastery of Associated Press style.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
- Please submit three (3) journalistic writing samples published
in a professional or student media outlet (these should be provided
in a PDF document which includes either link(s) or files combined
into a single PDF).
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by July 10, 2022 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: