Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college
located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines
academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong
institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and
nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment
practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the
goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the
nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College
is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and
world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with
gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in
the Crum Woods. Swarthmore College was recently ranked number 3 in
the 2021 US News Best National Liberal Arts Colleges rankings -
Through Swarthmore College's referral program, new hires in Dining
Services will receive a $500 bonus award after completing six
months of employment, if they were referred by a current Swarthmore
staff member. For more information on the employee referral program
at Swarthmore College, please visit
The Assistant Residential Manager (Sharples) oversees the planning
and managing all service, production, and personnel of the dining
hall. Assisting in developing new recipes and in researching
trends. Responsible for hiring, scheduling, evaluating and training
all staff. Provide to the dining program outstanding customer
service. Duties include proper accounting of sales, cash handling,
meal plans, and marketing, training, and maintaining safety
practices. Tracks labor costs for the unit. Maintains weekly
scheduling of staff. Monitors that all equipment in the front of
the house is working properly. Schedules preventive maintenance of
front of the house equipment.
Provides leadership and coaching as necessary for all staff members
on shifts. This position is responsible for decisions relating to
customer service, financial performance, and recipe and menu
development, training, and scheduling of staff. Problem solving
skills are a necessary requirement for this position. Recommend new
equipment and order items required to meet the needs of staff and
customers. Works in partnership with the Residential Operations
Manager and supervisors in setting performance expectations and for
providing the necessary leadership to ensure that those
expectations are met and customer satisfaction is ensured. Running
shifts on a daily basis in the Residential Operation servery.
• Manage Student Worker positions for the Dining Hall.
• Coaching and developing employees in standardization of food
quality, nutrition, presentation, and operational objective while
maintaining budgeted food and labor costs.
• Oversee daily operations of the Dining Hall to ensure guidelines,
standards and goals are being met and continually challenged
including: sanitation, safety, customer service, high quality
production standards and presentation, financial
• Creating employee scheduling to ensure that budget is met and
coverage of the operation is met.
• Training and coordinating service staff through written and
• Manages the Line Servers and other front house employees during
• Perform all duties assigned with opening and closing procedures
for the unit.
• Interact with & maintain a hands on relationship with hourly
staff as is needed to understand and evaluate all areas of the
operation – including efficiency, morale, skill levels, meeting
• Running shifts and hands on working with in operation on a daily
basis, to ensure operations are meeting the guidelines and goals of
the department. Overseeing all aspects of your areas within the
Operation on a daily basis.
• Assisting in identifying new menu items, food concepts and new
points of service with development of customer surveys and engaging
in focus groups for operations.
• Provides education, training and professional development of all
staff. This includes revising job summaries and creating processes
and procedures for efficient operations
• Works with the Management team on Purchasing to ensure proper
product and equipment that is needed is ordered.
• Professionally and effectively communicate with and provide
information to other departments and campus staff as needed and/or
• Be intuitive, flexible and available at all times to assist
wherever there is a need.
• Procuring decorations for special themed events in the dining
• Assist in overseeing the quality of service, cleanliness, and
sanitation throughout the Dining Hall operation.
• Improve and ensure customer service goals are being met.
• Ensure staff is in proper uniform and is following proper
procedures during shift
• Effectively performs the following:
o Provide fair, constructive, and timely feedback and coaching to
members of the team towards performance expectations and
o Continually assess performance through established standards and
applies corrective measures as required. Communicate with the
Residential Manager/Assistant Director of Residential Dining/HR to
escalate performance issues.
o With assistance from the Assistant Director/Residential Manager,
follows disciplinary procedures as established in accordance with
the employee handbook.
o Organize workflow and ensure that employees understand their
duties or delegated tasks.
o Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease
turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work
o Participate in supervisory training opportunities.
o Communicate key issues and information to staff members.
• High School degree with 5 years of experience or Associates
degree in culinary or business with 3 or more years of related
• Serv-safe Certification
• License/Certification – Valid Driver’s License
• PA Child abuse and FBI Clearance
• Ability to drive a box truck
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Demonstrated knowledge of production requirements, human
resources and fiscal management.
• Demonstrated leadership in developing vision and strategic
• Experience with human resource management skills, including the
selection, training, supervision and evaluation of professional
exempt staff and nonexempt staff.
• Experience in large scale catering and event experience.
• Experience in budget development, financial systems and operating
• Outstanding communication skills including interpersonal
communication, writing, public speaking and presenting, teaching
• Proficiency in Microsoft office, e-mail, CBORD system (or
others), Recipe software, Inventory systems, Timekeeping systems,
and Catering systems software.
• Demonstrated experience in managing food costs and labor
• Demonstrated problem-solving ability and strong commitment to
customer service in a diverse community.
• Demonstrated record of teamwork, collaboration and partnership
with numerous operations, services, colleagues and programs.
• To have working knowledge in a large commercial restaurant,
hotel, or catering establishment.
Ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs. Ability to
carry heavy objects in close quarters and on stairs. Ability to
carry these objects for extended periods and hand, arm and back
strength to do/lifting/carrying motions for extended time. Ability
to manipulate vibrating, hand-held power machinery for extended
times. Ability to perform kneeling, bending, squatting motions for
extended times. Ability to work in kitchen conditions with long
periods of standing. Ability to maintain work records.
• Bachelor’s degree in food service administration, institutional
management, nutrition, dietetics or related area.
• 2 or more years of progressively more responsible supervisory and
administrative experience in a high volume food service operation
that offers a varying daily menu.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from
candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with
demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and
minorities are encouraged to apply.
Jul 28 2022 Eastern Daylight Time