West Virginia UniversityResearch Office, Office of Sponsored
Programs is currently accepting applications for an Associate
The West Virginia University (WVU) Research Office, Office of
Sponsored Programs (OSP), provides central coordination and
oversight of WVU sponsored projects. The OSP team processes
proposals, establishes awards, and negotiates resultant grants,
contracts, and other agreements. The Award Initiation and
Management sub-department is one of three sub-departments within
The team members of the OSP Award Initiation and Management (AIM)
sub-department assist the WVU community with reviewing and
understanding guidelines and federal policies, and procedures
related to grants and contracts.
The Award Initiation and Management Associate Director is the
leader of the AIM sub-department and is responsible for routine to
complex sub-department decision making. The Associate Director will
provide supervisory and day-to-day direction to the Assistant
Director of Award Initiation and Management.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for
things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits,
What you'll do:
- 37.5-hour work week
- 13 paid holidays (
staff holiday calendar )
- 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
- 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick
family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical
appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of
people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as
well as others considered to be members of your household living
under the same roof)
- WVU offers a range of
health insurance and other benefits (this position is a
benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
- 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match,
eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks.
more retirement benefits information ? Check out retirement
health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
- Wellness programs
- Provide general leadership and guidance to all members of the
award initiation and management team.
- Foster an environment that focuses on the research office
mission of collaboration, professionalism, and kindness through
- Engage in strategic planning processes.
- Engage in long-term planning of the strategic direction of the
- Provide leadership for special projects/initiatives as
directed, while approaching work
with a cross-functional and cross-organizational mindset.
- Troubleshoot to develop creative, interdisciplinary solutions
to high-profile problems
- Oversee the development and maintenance of standard operating
procedures in collaboration with staff members.
- Engage and or connect team in professional and leadership
development activities as
appropriate to maximize office efficiency and effectiveness.
- Design and prepare sub-department data and performance reports
for the director of OSP.
- Apply organizational policies and procedures resolves moderate
- Apply independent judgment and resourcefulness to adapt to the
- Prioritize time-sensitive material for appropriate action.
- Provide WVU Research Corporation and WVU signature authority,
as directed by the Director of OSP.
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent relevant
- Expert knowledge of 2 CFR 200
- A minimum of seven (7) years experience in the following:
- Research Administration, including application of 2 CFR
- A minimum of six (6) years experience in the following:
- Electronic Research Administration
- A minimum of two (2) years experience in the following:
- Staff Supervision
- Training and Development of Staff
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with various
customers throughout WVU.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer and team-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, empower, and lead
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and appropriately
- Demonstrated supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team and delegate.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research administration.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and appropriately apply
Federal, State, and University policies and procedures, and
interpret cost principles.
- Certified Research Administrator, preferred.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources
to create a better future for our state and the world. As West
Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch
each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on
15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten
experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in
Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in
Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley
— the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8
million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are
the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to
work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new
heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just
another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is
core to WVU’s academic mission. We welcome candidates who can
contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu
. View current career
opportunities at careers.wvu.edu
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender
equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff,
and students, and invites applications from all qualified
applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender
identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics,
disability, or Veteran status.