Finger Lakes Community College is affiliated with The State
University of New York (SUNY) and is currently recruiting for two
(2) Human Resources Generalists.
Finger Lakes Community College offers competitive salaries, rich
benefits and retirement options which include New York State
Employees Retirement System, Teachers Retirement System and SUNY
Optional Retirement Program.
The Human Resources Generalist provides professional support and
expertise in the development, implementation, and administration of
a broad range of human resources functions or programs. Provides
support for the Human Resources Department by managing walk-in,
phone, and email inquiries to the human resources department, and
sees inquiries through completion. Maintains employee records
containing confidential and sensitive information. Maintains
employee data in the HRIS database and prepares reports. Provides
guidance and assistance to employees regarding benefits plans.
Reviews bi-weekly payroll pertaining to new hires, and employee
salary and benefits changes. Supports and coordinates recruitment
and compliance activities. May be assigned one or more primary
focus areas within HR.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
General HR Administration
- Supports a broad range of human resources functions or programs
including, but not limited to, recruitment and staffing, employee
and/or labor relations, performance evaluation, compensation and
benefits administration, employee communication, and organizational
development and training. Implements human resources policies and
procedures and communicates and interprets them for managers and
- Assists in training and development services to increase
employee engagement, organizational capability, effectiveness and
- Serves as customer service liaison to faculty and staff by
providing advice and guidance related to human resources
transactions, programs, and other inquiries. Provides guidance and
assistance to managers and employees on state and federal
employment laws, collective bargaining agreements, benefits
inquiries and human resources policies and procedures.
- Analyzes federal and state laws, SUNY regulations, and College
policies to ensure that FLCCs human resources programs are
effective and consistent with legal and regulatory requirements.
Monitors the effectiveness of human resources policies and
recommends revisions or modification to meet the needs of the
- Assists in resolving matters of significance including complex
and unusual issues or employee complaints.
- Creates the employment requisition for approval to fill a
position. Posts positions in applicant tracking system and
advertises the vacancy. Schedules interviews with candidates
selected by search committees. Prepares applicant tracking reports
to support the assessment of the applicant pool.
- Prepares and maintains employment onboarding packets through
applicant tracking system and ensures completion of onboarding for
all new hires.
- Prepares hard copy and electronic documents required to place
employees on payroll and establishes an employee file, assuring
accuracy, compliance and confidentiality. Ensures completion of all
required documentation (i.e. I-9, W- 4, retirement election, etc.)
Maintains confidential applicant, employment, and benefit records
in files and updates databases as necessary. Enrolls new hires in
compliance training. Processes professional development requests
for professional staff.
- Works with Ontario County Human Resources regarding civil
service vacancies and other employment documentation.
- Schedules and conducts one-on-one benefits orientations
meetings to advise, educate, and enroll staff in
- Administers all employee benefit programs including group life
insurance, voluntary life, medical and dental insurance, FSA,
AD&D/LTD, retirement plans, tax-sheltered annuity, and direct
- Handles benefit inquiries to ensure quick, equitable, courteous
- Conducts intake with employees who may need to request a leave
of absence, and provide applicable forms and instructions.
Administers and records the leave of absence. Leaves of absence may
include, but are not limited to: FMLA, short- and long-term
disability, workers compensation, sabbaticals, and unpaid leaves
allowed under collective bargaining agreements or College
- Calculates the monthly premium statements for all group
insurance policies and maintains statistical data relative to
premiums, claims, and costs and submits to the Assistant Director
for approval. Prepares premium payment vouchers.
- Resolves administrative issues with the carrier representatives
and communicates with service providers concerning routine
administration of programs
- Documents and maintains administrative procedures for assigned
benefits processes and maintains enrollment records for all benefit
- Assists with employee information presentations and open
enrollments. Keeps materials and Intranet pages up-to-date with
current benefits offerings. Uses various communication tools to
enhance understanding of the colleges benefits package. Assists
with designing and distributing materials for benefits
orientations, open enrollment and summary plan descriptions.
- Ensures compliance with COBRA guidelines by preparing letters
and other paperwork.
- Maintains files of retirement plan correspondence, reports and
- Manages Retiree Medical Plan enrollments and premium
- Helps employees navigate retirement preparation and Medicare
enrollment by providing them with contact information for
applicable service providers.
- A bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business or related
field and a minimum of three (3) years experience in Human
Resources, preferably across more than one HR discipline; or a
master's degree in Human Resource Management or related field and a
minimum of two (2) years experience in Human Resources, preferably
across more than one HR discipline.
- Advanced computer proficiency and technical aptitude in
programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and HRIS systems and
other applicable database programs. Ellucian Colleague experience
preferred. Experience preparing HR data for senior management
- Demonstration of strong customer service skills; a high degree
of professionalism, integrity, and discretion in handling sensitive
and confidential situations and documentation; and experience
delivering HR services to diverse populations.
- Ability to review union contract language and apply to
administrative procedures. Knowledge of all pertinent federal and
state regulations and compliance requirements.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with
co-workers, employees, and outside contacts in a courteous and
professional manner, through the lens of inclusion, being aware of
diverse cultures and ensuring all people are treated
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to consistently
meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines.
Applicants interested in applying
MUST submit the following documents online:
Position will be open until filled.
Finger Lakes Community College does not discriminate against
any employee, applicant for employment, student or applicant for
admission based on an individuals race, color, national origin,
religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identification,
gender expression, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy,
predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, veteran
status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction or any
other category protected by law. The College adheres to all federal
and state civil rights laws prohibiting discrimination in public